Chapter iii

Nithsdale was still more supportive of her escape plan than the petition. Still, on 22nd of February which fell on a Thursday, a general petition was submitted to the House of Lords whose purpose was to make the King pardon the prisoners.

The Earl of Pembroke had moved everyone with his speech on the subject of the debate– if those condemned by the parliament could be forgiven by the King or not.

Winifred was accompanied by many ladies of quality and respected lords, including Lady Derwenwater. The house was supportive of the affirmative motion, until one lord stood up.

"I think we must be more discriminating. The House shall intercede on behave of only those prisoners who are willing to accept this intercession done on their behalf, and acknowledge the thought of this petition. We shall only save those who well respect our assistance."

All all hell broke loose inside Winifred's mind.

She was sure her husband wouldn't approve of the intercession and she, considering his feelings, would not allow his survival to look more like a mercy from the King. They had fought for it and not begged. She knew bowing low was often the only way, but the wise knew how to curve the road.

Amidst all the scenes of sadness and tears suddenly a flame of anger sprouted in her mind.

She immediately left the House of Lords and set off for the Tower. Now only the cunning could survive.

**

"Happy days have come! The innocent will see the light of the new sun."

The guards stood up, bewildered by her sudden inspiring words and her gleaming face.

"Some good news, Lady?"

"The petition has been passed!"

Winifred tried to held back her tears.

I am sorry, everyone. I am sorry for being a harbinger of false hopes. I risk it all, I sin for love!

Internally she quivered like a leaf, her sentiments struggling to not flood.

The guards shared her happiness. "That is a blessing indeed."

Blessing that must be created soon. "I have some gifts for you all."

Bribes, if my tongue had been like Evans' pink dagger.

She gave to the guards some pouches,though trifling was the amount. "Enjoy in the good health of my Lord and the King!"

"We will pray that the prisoners be freed soon. We heard day after tomorrow has been assigned for the Lord's execution, but if they have indeed given some kindness to not only him but others too, it is a matter of happiness."

Her blood boiled but her feet turned cold. She forced a steel smile on her crimson lips, her blue eyes excited like a fawn. "You know well." Her face turned pale as soon as she pronounced those words.

"What does the Lady mean to say?"

"The petition has been passed, and it is true that joy follows but not for everyone. Many prisoners will be pardoned but, as far as I know, I am losing out of my luck."

The guards understood her. "The King is kind. We hope he does pardon your husband."

"I still have tomorrow night. But excuse me, the day has been long and even though the petition has given us hope, I have been too engrossed in the ill-fated events and lost my vigor. I shall come back tomorrow."

She had no idea what had happened after she left the House of Lords, whether the petition was finally passed or whether the unfortunate occured. But she learned the hard way that such diplomatic and harmonious ways could not help in rescuing her husband. She would risk it all. Maybe even the lives of other prisoners for the sake of her husband.

She knew he had to be taken out of the cursed Tower of London if he wanted to live.

After sleepless nights and long days she decided to take good rest today.

"Tomorrow would be an epoch-making day."