Chapter iv

Winifred gave the ladies no time to reflect upon her aims and plannings. The carriage was summoned and the four left for the Tower of London.

Winifred kept talking and rambling throughout the journey and at the very end of it disclosed the minute details of her plan. In the shock of the moment and the pressing of Winifred, Mrs. Mills and Miss Hilton agreed to be of assistance.

"Mrs. Mills is as tall as my husband and being with child her physique is comparable to my Lord's too, at present. Miss Hilton, I hope you have worn two cloaks?"

"Yes, one extra under this."

"Very well. You shall come with me first."

"We must complete it all by the evening. The afternoon light shall help us more than the candles," Evans reminded.

"Do not worry. We will do it carefully but quick. You wait outside with the carriage."

**

"Dear Miss Hilton, this is the last day that I have. If by tonight I am unable to present the petition, I will lose him to death!"

It was a loud whisper, an act feigned to be the careless outpour of a woman at the brink of widowhood.

"Let's pray, we still have some hours."

The two women passed through the guards and the other people present, and into Lord Nithsdale's chamber.

He rose up from his seat, all anxious and pale. "Are you seriously–"

"–going to take dramatic measures, yes." She shushed him. "Now, look at the other side, to the wall. Miss Hilton shall change her dress."

Before Nithsdale could make out anything he was forced to face the cool stone wall. Winifred kept some paints and a headdress on the seat.

Miss Hilton took out her extra cloth and a petticoat. Patting her shoulders and puffing her chest, she announced, "Done."

Miss Hilton waited in the chamber while Winifred returned back to the entrance of the Tower and partly climbed down the stairs to meet Mrs Mills ready and with a handkerchief over her face.

Winifred took her palms and gently pressed them. Her blue, determined gaze assured Mrs Mills of no mishaps having occured.

"Keep the handkerchief over your face as you have done, and act like you are grieving."

She nodded, and began sobbing. Winifred took her by the hand and with slow steps ascended the Tower. On passing by the room next to her Lord's chamber, she found the daughters and wives of the guards having seated there. Again in an excited, worrisome tone and quivering lips, she said to Mrs Mills, "Mrs Catherine, this is the last night! I know not how my maid is being this reckless. I must ask someone to fetch her to dress me up for presenting the petition."

Pursing her lips, she shook her head as Mrs Mills continued to moan. The ladies present in the room turned their heads, whispering amongst themselves the ill-fate of the Lady. Their keen, alert eyes took sympathy upon the soon-to-be widow. They passed comments in a circle about the cruelty of the king and the fragile diplomacy of the Lady.

"I shall miss my friend," Mrs Mills added between her sobs. It caused the corner of Winifred's lips to turn up but she suppressed a grin.