Chapter 7~ Cape Verde

The air was damp and dark when I woke. My muscles ached and my head pain had dulled to a tender stinging. Looking around, I could tell I was back in my original room. It was quiet outside, and the ship was again moving. Part of my insides shriveled up in sadness. My only means of escape had slipped through my fingers in a matter of minutes. I tried to stand but as I did, the motion rocked me about more than the ship could ever do. As quickly as I'd gotten up, I toppled back down.

Is this it? I thought. Are my remaining days going to be limited to captivity and the occasional tortures Tew has in store for me?

I certainly couldn't imagine anything else. Though my mind continued to race with what the evil man had said about my father. I couldn't believe it. I didn't believe it.

"He wouldn't leave me here," I told myself. "He's coming to save me. And when he saves me, I'll do the honors of the sending the bloody ship down in flames." Half of me was very pleased with the plan. The other half knew I was too naive to think any differently.

The light was just fading from the earth when the Cabin Boy returned. The door was slammed open, and the Cabin Boy was tossed inside. The bucket of water and tray of food he'd been carrying spilled everywhere. The door crashed closed, and it was only us. I was terrified to look at him. My hands shook as he lifted his head. In the last remains of sunlight, I saw everything. One of his eyes was black. His nose was broken. Many parts of his face were bruised and cut. His lip bled and the bruises trailed down to grip marks around his neck. His shirt was torn, and his chest had been beaten and sliced up. He looked at me for a few moments before scrounging up the fallen food.

Disregarding everything, I rushed over to Edmund and pulled him away from the floor.

"I'm so sorry...sorry..." he babbled.

"Jesus, Edmund. You look terrible. He did this to you?"

"I shouldn't have done that, Constantine. I'm so sorry."

"You kicked over the bucket, didn't you? You saved my life. Why did you do that?"

He sat there, not meeting my eyes, and shook his head.

"I...I don't know. You were drownin'. He was going to kill you. I just knew he was."

"But why do you care? That way you wouldn't have had to clean up my blood—just like you said."

Edmund picked up the bucket and set it aside, saving the last bit of water. He finally looked at me but a piece of sweaty blonde hair had fallen in his face.

"I guess...You're the only person on this ship who's ever cared about what I had to say. That was nice for a change, and I couldn't just watch you die. I guess I think of you as a...friend. I don't know."

It was an uncomfortable thing at first, hugging him. I pulled Edmund in close, so fast that I barely remembered thinking about doing it. He grew stiff but soon relaxed under my touch and hugged me back.

"Thank you," I whispered. We pulled away and Edmund gave me a last glance.

"I'm not sure you should be thankin' me for giving you a concussion."

"No, not for that." Edmund hesitated then gave me the smallest of smiles. I reached to his ankles and untied the strips of cloth. He pulled away at first, confused.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"You've been healing me for all this while. The least I can do is return the favor." He let me untie and soak the rags. Carefully, I cleaned each wound. Admittedly, I was a little nervous. The whole time, Edmund's eyes searched my face like it was an inescapable maze. He radiated a certain heat that shielded me away from the cold of the ship.