Chapter 12~ Everything Changes

The path back to the village of Cape Town was long and rugged. The skies above had darkened dramatically by the time I reached the streets. In the evening, the crowds ruptured away. The leftover residents floated around the markets aimlessly. Vendors no longer had to shout every word. And the families all evaporated into their own homes. The excitement of Cape Town that had once captivated me so had now fallen stagnant. This was now a city of luminous windows and humming wildlife. Can the world stop turning for one person? Even for a second?

I should've been focusing on the task at hand, scrounging for money and praying for release. But, I'd found a new, more beautiful muse. Not a single time in so long had I been able to look up above and stare at the stars. And it was then that I had realized the beauty hidden in fear.

Sometimes, I had my doubts about my own tragedy. There had been too many blessings in this narrative for me to be sure of my harrowing adversity. I shouldn't have been allowed to feel gratitude. My father was still so far away, worrying sick about me and, perhaps, thinking me dead. Yet, I could stand imprudent to the struggling and pain of my only loved one left.

My head instinctively lowered at these thoughts. The stars no longer appeared miraculous but judgmental of my shamefulness—just as the rest of the world acted.

So, I collected my scattered thoughts and browsed my kind benefactors before me. I didn't know much about stealing. I never had to resort to such actions as a child. But, now seemed a good time as any to learn.

Only I felt what seemed like a chilly wind brushing over my shoulders; something wasn't right. But, there wasn't a pirate anywhere in sight. Not a suspicious person to be seen. Down the street, a little further, stood Dr. Zagaeski's Wonders which had once been curious and intriguing to me. But, now, I wouldn't approach the hellish, shadowy hovel for anything. It was true. Cape Town was both angel and devil but never the same at once. As I contemplated my next step, a hand appeared out of the darkness and abducted me into an alleyway. My fists reacted reflexively and punched the figure's face. A young cry of pain stopped me short. I could've recognized that thin silver scar anywhere.

"Edmund?"

The cabin boy clutched his nose in pain and laughed softly. I had no words to describe the rush of relief I felt at the moment. All guilt of my abandonment of my friend faded. He was there—that was all that mattered. I grinned and tucked my coal-colored curls back away from my face. Suddenly, the night no longer seemed so mysterious.

"You came! Why? Why did you come?" I said, remembering just how dangerous his presence was, "Tew would kill you if he caught you here!"

"Bloody hell! That's a damn serious clout. I came to talk some sense into you." Edmund kept a firm hand on his slightly crooked nose from my blow. Realizing that I'd hit him, I sputtered an apology and took his face in my hands to examine it.

I'd only been away from him for a day. But, I couldn't understand words when I stared into his golden-brown eyes like tarnished gold coins. My fingertips began to tingle, and the vibrating sensation traveled down my arms into my chest. It grew so strong, I had to release Edmund to protect the fiery sensitivity in my breast. "Why did you really come?"

"Came to talk. That's all," remarked Edmund. We watched each other's stillness until I nodded an understanding.

"You cannot stay on the island, Constantine. We both know how this will end if you continue to run."

"I'm not certain I'd be so quick to assume. I've made it this far, haven't I?"

"That's not what I mean. I've been doctorin' you since you came onto this ship, and you're in a weak state, lass. I've done all I can to keep you alive but out here?...I won't let you die. You need to come back with me." Edmund slid his hand towards mine, but I recoiled like a snake stung by its own kind of venom. My face was sour and disgusted.

"I'm not going back to that place. I'd rather die."

"You can't die-"

"Well, that's not exactly your decision, now is it?"

Edmund was stung by this comment and shielded away. Something had definitely changed between us. And the path we were heading down was paved with pure madness and destruction. We both watched each other—silently, cautiously, as if, at any moment, someone would reveal their true identities and the illusion wouldn't be true.

"Don't do this, Constantine. I promise, if you just come back, we'll think of some way to get you off again safely. I promise...just-"

"You don't understand," I whispered with a frozen solid heart blocking up my chest, "If I come with you, I'll never see the light of the sun again. If the only way to escape is risking death, then I'll take my chances."

The distant, defensive look Edmund had before was replaced with one of misery.

"Is that truly what you wish?" his silky voice hummed gently.

"It is."

Every tree surrounding the town wept sorely in the pacific breeze. And time slowed to almost nothing. Edmund took my hand, but I didn't pull away this time. And he smiled something grieved and hollow. The attempt of comfort was nothing compared to the war going on inside my head just then. Maybe there wasn't a right choice, just one that would cause less damage. Besides, who'd ever miss a pirate's bastard daughter?

Edmund released me. "Then, go."

My eyes stayed attached, but my legs moved. And I watched him until I was so far out of sight that the darkness finally ate the cabin boy up. Nobody walked the streets but beggars and witches. Beyond me lied the forest. As I approached the part of town where civilization faded into the wilderness, the sound of rustling reached my ears. My feet had vanished into the undergrowth, but something told me I wasn't completely alone. The night settled so comfortably in that seeing more than five feet in front of me was impossible.

It's only a rabbit or a fox, I kept telling myself. But, the stirring came from more than one bush. My steps were hesitant, slow like walking over fragile glass. My only company—the crickets.

Then, out of nowhere, there came the faintest whisper, and I bolted back towards town. As you'd suspect, I didn't get far, because as soon as I could take a gasp, pirates sprung on top of me like lions on their prey. And no amount of muffled screams would make the world take a look at my despondency. They wrestled me down to the dirt and bound me up with rope and a gag. I was hauled over the shoulder of the pirate Rathbone, and the bunch began their descent across town back to the Amity. All the while, my vision blurred with tears and my tender ribs burned from being pressed against.

This would be the last time I ever saw Cape Town and the wonderful Dr. Zagaeski again. For, as we passed his shop, I caught a glimpse of something that haunted me for the rest of my life. There on the stone steps leading to his door lied Dr. Zagaeski—body sprawled out like a spider and chest darkened with blood. He was still, lifeless, and had a knife sticking out of his breast. The rest of the way back, I sobbed horribly and screamed until I could no longer make a sound.

People die every day. Mothers, fathers, siblings, and the ones you love most will perish eventually. But, every living person has a terrifying power that many don't realize—we all control each other's lifespans. There are things you do, perhaps without knowing that could end the life of the person beside you. I had, singlehandedly controlled the lifespan of Dr. Zagaeski. And I had never before regretted something as much as I did staring at his corpse. This was a man who deserved to live. And it was I who threw that away for him. It was I who had made the deathbed for Zagaeski to lie in.

I didn't die that night, however, I'd wished I could've. There's wasn't much I wanted to live for anymore. My father seemed better off without a liability like me on his hands. My mother wasn't the woman I thought she was. Every day was meaningless to me, and there wasn't a bright enough light in my future.

I was alone in the world.

Not everyone gets happiness in the end. I certainly didn't. At the end of my life, I would look back at this moment and ponder its meaning. Because after that night—that terribly tragic night—everything would change.