22 ; a night-time stroll

"It's weird having a ghost flirt with you -"

As Harry had no idea how long a bath he would need to work out the secret of the golden egg, he decided to do it at night, when he would be able to take as much time as he wanted. Reluctant though he was to accept more favors from Cedric, he also decided to use the prefects' bathroom; far fewer people were allowed in there, so it was much less likely that he would be disturbed.

Harry planned his excursion carefully, because he had been caught out of bed and out-of-bounds by Filch the caretaker in the middle of the night once before, and had no desire to repeat the experience. The Invisibility Cloak would, of course, be essential, and as an added precaution, Harry thought he would take the Marauder's Map, which, next to the cloak, was the most useful aid to rule-breaking Harry owned. The map showed the whole of Hogwarts, including its many shortcuts and secret passageways and, most important of all, it revealed the people inside the castle as minuscule, labeled dots, moving around the corridors, so that Harry would be forewarned if somebody was approaching the bathroom.

On Thursday night, Harry sneaked up to bed, put on the cloak, crept back downstairs, and, just as he had done on the night when Hagrid had shown him the dragons, waited for the portrait hole to open. However, unlike that late night excursion, he'd not wanted Hermione nor Liliana to be down in the common room, but there Liliana was, reading a book in front of the fireplace, wrapped in a purple, wool-knitted blanket; her eyes twinkled with the orange hues of the subtle flames whilst they glanced over the page.

Somehow, Harry'd always managed to catch her this way: Wrapped in a sweater or blanket, a book or Walkman in her hands whilst she sat in her usual armchair by the fireplace. It was nice, Harry supposed, to see Liliana in her 'element'.

"Lily," came a tired whisper from the girls' staircase, "are you going to get some sleep?"

Harry turned and saw Hermione; he tried to bite back a laugh at the wild state of her hair.

"In a minute," answered Liliana, not taking her eyes off her book, "there's about a page until this chapter's over."

"You and that pet peeve," Hermione laughed, shaking her head.

Liliana shrugged, and turned towards her sister. "It bothers me to leave mid-chapter, it's as though I'm betraying the entirety of it."

"Understandable," said Hermione with a small smile. "Well, just don't stay up to late -"

"Okay, mum," teased Liliana, grinning at Hermione who rolled her eyes before heading back up to her dorm.

Liliana then returned her attention to the novel in her hands, and Harry, who'd seen  the entire conversation, trying not to voice his amusement, was about to head out when the snap of a book startled him; he nearly dropped the egg in his arms.

Merlin, is it heavy, he thought, trying to move it back into a comfortable position as he walked towards the portrait hole. Ron and Atlas were on the opposite side, waiting to give the Fat Lady the password ("banana fritters").