Well Hello

She lived and laughed and loved and left.

Valda had been home in New York for about a week and was working at the New York Public Library, not wanting to be in her gallery. She had managed to stay in DC for almost a month, ensuring Lei rested enough for her fractures to mend. Val knew her best friend was safe in DC with her dad, but she couldn't keep her mind from wandering to LJ. With a frustrated sigh, she shut her laptop and started to pack up her bags.

"Are you leaving?" a feminine voice asked from behind Valda.

"Oh, yeah, I am," Val smiled, turning towards the voice, "Adelaide?"

"Valda? Oh my gosh, what are you doing here?" Adelaide asked.

"I didn't want to go into my gallery to work today. Still getting used to being home," Val replied.

"Oh, where were you, if you don't mind me asking?" Adelaide asked, "Let's get lunch and chat."

"But the table?"

"Eh, I was just writing a script. I can do that anywhere," Adelaide waved off.

"Alright, let's go to that Indian place we both like!" Val smiled, "I haven't seen you since I was in Australia for that opening."

"Oh man, that was almost a year ago," Adelaide commented as they reached the street.

"A lot has happened since then. I almost lost my best friend," Val sighed, hailing a taxi.

"The cute sailor you showed me a picture of?" Adelaide asked in surprise.

"Yeah, that's where I was. I went down to Norfolk last month after getting a call that she was in the hospital." Val replied, shaking her head.

"Is she okay?"

"Oh, yeah! NCIS caught the guy after her, and she met her dad" Val smiled, "LJ should be leaving for Seal School in a couple of months."

"Wow, I have to meet this woman. In the hospital a month ago and still going to Seal School soon? That's one tough cookie," Adelaide chuckled.

"Addie, question. Are you currently seeing anyone?" Val asked suddenly.

"So every single, why?" Addie replied.

"I think you and LJ would hit it off," Val commented with a smile.

"Let me see a picture of her again" Addie nodded at Val's phone.

Valda happily obliged and scrolled through her photos to find the picture of Leilani that she was thinking of. With a triumphant smile, Val handed Addie the phone with a picture of Lei on the screen. Leilani's curly hair had been straightened, and she was staring straight into the camera with relaxed lips and perfectly sculpted brows. There was something in the photo that said she was present but annoyed at the situation.