Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

04. The D-Night

I'm officially a permanent employee at the Remington Group, and from this point onward, things with Ashton and Chloe will move faster. At least that's what we've agreed on together.

Passing the six-month probation with a big client deal in my employment record is what I always aimed for. This is very important to me, especially after Ashton-Chloe happened. If anyone dares to say that I was hired because of my connection with Ashton Knight, they can shove their comments right up their stinky asses. Because that's not how I got this job.

At the time I applied, I wasn't even aware that my role would be under the subsidiary company, Knight & Co. —the company that handles the existing clients and distribution exclusively. I learned about it later when I started my training. It was probably mentioned briefly earlier but it didn't go to my brain for some reason. Regardless, it's still a part of Remington Group and it resides in the same building which makes no difference in the work dynamic.

When I saw the picture of the CEO of Knight & Co. for the very first time, his face didn't ring any bell in my head. His exterior looked stoic and radiated a leader vibe. He appeared to be less experienced compared to other executive board members, probably because he was the youngest among them. He was handsome, I gave him that, but everything about him screamed sales figures and profits. And no, I couldn't see the color of his eyes, not even his face contour clearly from the quick introduction during my new-employee training.

When I met him in person on my first working day, it was then I got smacked in the face and there my roller coaster ride began to take off.

The ding sound of the elevator pulls me out of my wandering mind. Hugging the contract document into my chest, I make my way to my boss's office.

"Congratulations!" My colleagues shout as I enter Max's room. They've probably been deliberately waiting for me to come back from the headquarters HR office. Everyone is there except Sebastian.

"Hmm, I smell a party tonight," Gina adds. The girl is sitting on Max's guest's chair, a latte cup in her hand.

I grin from ear to ear, waving my contract to them. "Party it is. Chloe is staying the night with my parents. I've told her I might be home super late tonight."

"Damn, you're indeed well prepared," Max chirps.

"Can I choose the place?" asks Shanti, beaming at me expectantly.

"I can't see why not?" I reply as I shrug. I don't know the best place to hang out around here anyway.

"So, do you want to have a boring-as-fuck din–"

"Language." Max glares at Shanti.

"I mean, a monotonously sophisticated dinner or something more alive?"

"No boring restaurant dinner, please. A place to drink and chill while we can have some bites sounds better."

"I know a place. You guys will love it!" Shanti squeals before winking her eyes at me. "And you can also have some dudes to bite because it's a place for awesome people to hang out. Business people, entrepreneurs, young executives...well, some old rich dudes too, in case you prefer them. And occasionally, some less fortunate office staff like us."

I purse my lips. "Why does it sound like a place I can't afford?"

"Don't worry about it. We'll put it in. It's a team celebration anyway," Max says before noticing every pair of eyes is boring a hole in his head. He gulps. "What I meant by we is we as a team. Using a small chunk of our team activity budget won't hurt. We haven't hung out for some time anyway."

"Yes!" Shanti squeals again. "It's going to be fun! Tighten up your undies, ladies, or you will be home with a baby in your belly!"

"No extra random dudes at our table while I'm still sitting there, please," Max adds.