Promotion

-(y/n)-

I was running so late! I sprinted through the busy sidewalk with two coffees in hand. My phone rings as I plant my feet to a stop at the crosswalk. I pull the phone out of my purse and roll my eyes at the name. I take a breath before answering, "Hello! I'm so sorry! I'm-" "He's here and you're late. How far away are you?" I gulp at the boss man's voice. "Uh, just, just two minutes away. I promise." "Make it one. Hurry up." I nod sharply, denying myself the right to own his shit and quit, but today is not that day. I bottle my anger and smile, "Yes, Mr. White."

~

-Conor-

Dana hangs up the phone and tosses it to his desk. "A bit harsh aren't ya? What'd he do?" I chuckle feeding into the petty drama. Dana shakes his head, "Over my head with that one. She constantly-" The door opens and a young lady enters, looking quite frazzled. She smiles and holds up the two cups. "I made it in 48 seconds." She smiles but pushes an underlying sass.

She walks forward, her shoes clicking on the flooring. Setting the two cups on his desk she looks over at me. The sudden wave of energy took me off guard, which never happens. Her smile radiating the room, her eyes drawing me in. "Hi, I'm (y/n). The coffee runner and voicemail taker."

The corner of my mouth twitches up. I reach my hand out grasping hers. "Conor McGregor." She nods along with a knowing smile, "The Notorious, right? Good fight with Brimage. Knockouts are the way to make first impressions. Reminds me of this one bull rider that got knocked out by-" Dana chuckles cutting her off, "Anyways, (y/n), when the PR applicants come to the office have them enter all at once. Conor is going to pick. There should be four"

She nods, turning to leave, "and don't make conversation. We don't need any more herding stories ruining the meetings." She shrugs, "Southern living, Mr. White. Momma couldn't tame me and I doubt you will either."

"What was that?" Dana asks shocked. She turns back, regret filling her eyes. "I'll get the applicants ready." She closes the door and leaves me with more questions.

Dana shakes his head, "I'm sorry about her. She was recommended by my brother-in-law. I'm starting to think they were playing a prank." I shake my head, "I like her." "You haven't heard her go on and on about her cow in North Carolina. This is her last assignment." I raise my brow, "does she know that?" Dana shrugs looking through the applications, "last hired first fired."

~

-(Y/N)-

The four girls sit around the small office I have in the hallway between Dana's office and the rest of the offices. I stand looking through all the names. "Seems we're all here. Follow me please." I knock twice before opening the door. "Ladies, come in." The four line up in front of Dana and Conor. I stand to the side behind Dana.

The women run through their experience and answer the questions Dana requested. "Well, Conor. Do any of these ladies sound like they can handle the job?" Conor looks over the files of each woman. He tosses them on Dana's desk. He pushes himself up to stand. He walks past each applicant until he comes up to me. He looks into my eyes and smiles. He points and smiles, "(Y/n)." Dana chuckles, "funny, now come on. Who? I think Shelby-" "(y/n). I told you."

My mouth dries and I drop my folder. Conor bends down, retracing it for me. He passes it to Dana with a smile. "Set her up in an office with a good view."

Dana stares at Conor, "You're serious." He nods, "Lassie, deserves a good view." Dana nods, "uh, okay, well, girlfriend, You're promoted to PR. You're Conor McGregor's agent. Congratulations."

What?

"Holy moly. Butter my buns!" Conor's laughter takes over. He shakes my hand smiling. "Dana, give her my contact information." Conor releases my hand leaving. He turns back once more waving, "I promise not to give you much trouble."

Boy oh boy, that was a lie.