Epilogue

Author's Note:
Thank you for joining me on the journey that is The Ostler's Boy. Thank you for all your comments, laughs, reads and reading lists. You all truly humble me.

✨🦢✨

Though this is the end of The Ostler's Boy, BOOK 1, the story continues in Of Swords and Horses, BOOK 2. (And then a Crown in Ash, BOOK 3).

If you liked this, I'd love for you to read my other work!

Birds & Bullets
Once Upon a Knight

Or check out my paperback and ebooks on Amazon:

The Miranda Rites Trilogy
The Holiday Affair

Again, thank you for such a gift as your readership.

Megan

• • •

There wasn't anything inherently illegal about changing his name

There wasn't anything inherently illegal about changing his name. At least from what I'd uncovered. Which made the switch back to Willem Ólason, rather easy. What was difficult, was explaining to every person either of us had ever met that 'Cyrus Evergreen' was nothing more than a passing dream. I think it was shocking that I had brought home a man whose identity was not that of a secret Prince, but of an ostler's son, and in particular one that a few of the older servants recognized.

Sam took the news the best, if you could believe it. Though he had married Lady Agatha, the very week we split, and sired an heir immediately, I think in some way, he had been affected by the dismissal of our bond. In an excited, but drunken confession on his wedding night, he told Willem and I that he'd found comfort in the idea that this— this relationship he and I had abandoned— was torn apart by Fate. Not anything of his doing.

Softer, he'd said our love story had reinforced his own.

The same night, Elías was actually happy to give his consent to Willem when he asked him for my hand. Of course, I had not expected such a thing, and became aware of it when Eli informed me. Er— rather, confirmed that he should in fact grant the blessing. 

We married each other in the winter, which only felt appropriate for our roots, but in Chalke. In the chapel where we had first discovered each other— It was good luck, after all.

And my Willem continued to teach swordplay in both empires. He calibrated his efforts towards troubled youth, particularly but not exclusively to poor and troubled youth. With the help of Ser Elías and Ser Willoughby, we started 'Swords & Horses', a sort of community center, so to speak, and every year they demonstrated their skills in Town Centre during the holidays.