Chapter 40

Mindy walked down the pavement towards the diner the next morning. She saw Parker just opening his store as she approached her diner and waved at him.

"Hey there, Mindy." Parker greeted with a smile, "Good November morning?"

"That it is." Mindy said with a smile, "Have a good day, Parker."

"You too." Parker said before he headed into his store, leaving Mindy who was just about to open the diner.

She pulled out her keys and pushed it into the keyhole, that was when she saw it and frowned. Unlocking the diner, she kept her key back in her purse and pulled out the white envelopes that were stuck between the doors.

The first letter had her name written in bold and the second, Jackson's.

Pushing into the diner, Mindy walked towards the counter, placed her purse on the countertop and took her seat on one of the stools. She placed down the other letter and opened hers.

Who could have left a letter for her and Jax?
She wondered.

But she was about to find out.

Dearest Mindy,
The letter read.

The first day I walked into your diner, it felt like I was coming home. Everything and everyone felt welcoming; the air, the smiles on people's faces, the love I've gotten over the past couple of months has filled up the holes in my heart that I've had for years.

Burlington has healed me in more ways than one. It's given me something I've been searching for and even better, something I didn't know I wanted. You have been like a mother to me and it pains me that I couldn't get to say a proper goodbye to you.

I apologize for leaving unannounced and at the very last minute. I just had to leave because I'd much rather keep all the good memories of everyone I've met than spend a second longer and ruin those memories.

The pain, you described to me, you felt after your husband died; I think I might have gotten just a tiny taste of it and it feels like I never want to see daylight ever again. I hope I can one day feel as happy as you are now.

Thank you for sharing your happiness, your family, your food and your town with me. I will always remember and keep the memories close to my heart. My love, regards and farewell to everyone.

Love always,
Lillian.

P.S.: Please, give Jackson the other letter when he comes to the diner.

Lillian, she was gone.
Mindy thought.

Mindy sat there wondering what could have possibly happened that would make her leave like that and just as the bell rang as Hank walked into the diner, so did the reason for Lillian's departure come to mind. At least, she could guess.

She looked down at the other letter which had Jackson's name written across it.

What did you do now, boy?
She thought.

"Everything alright?" Hank asked as he stood tall next to her.

Mindy turned to him and sighed, shaking her head.
"Lillian left."

Hank frowned.
"What do you mean, left?"

"She's gone, Hank."

"How could she leave just like that without..." Hank saw the other letter on the counter and sighed, "Oh boy, what have you done this time?"

Lillian reached New York very early in the morning. She was exhausted from driving all night and crying her eyes out. The pain in her heart wasn't making it easier but she was glad to have made it back safe.