chapter six.

august 20, 2004

august 20, 2004.

You rub your eyes, the sun not even reaching Leah's windows as you wake up far earlier than usual. Leah herself is still asleep, her dark hair sprawled across the pillows. Her features are slack against the pillow, but her face still holds redness and the skin around her eyes is dark. She snores loudly, and your lips twist into a smile as you let yourself sit to wake up. 

Normally, Leah is the one who wakes up early, always being a light sleeper since you've been kids. As you set off to change out of your pajamas, you tiptoe, just in case she decides to wake up, but last night was rough and you have the feeling she won't be up for at least another hour. You let her sleep. She needs it.

You topple to the side as you try to change, eventually figuring out how to get your clothes on with the sling in your way. The process takes a few minutes and you grab the journal from your bag and put on your shoes. 

Wary of a situation like before, you don't travel too far. A large flat rock sits in a small clearing and you sit, drawing and writing notes about your surroundings. The birds chirrup around you, just as the sun rises above the horizon. 

Sketching an odd-looking mushroom, you flinch as a branch breaks behind you. 

Twisting in your spot, you sink in relief as there is no giant wolf behind you. 

Somehow, it's worse. 

The boy steps out of the brush, sweating profusely as he calls your name. "Hey, are you really ignoring me?"

You turn back around and continue scribbling with your pencil.

As far as you're concerned, Sam Uley can choke and die.

"Seriously? We just broke up, that's it. I thought we were friends." He says and you narrow your eyes.

You stand and walk towards him, ignoring how muscled he has gotten and his shortened hair.

"Are you seriously that dense?" He stands still as you practically prowl closer. "You broke up with her in the lowest way possible, and you still want to be friends?"

He manages to look confused, "What?"

"Leah deserves an explanation, Uley. You've been with her for years, and you end it like that? Do you think she's not worthy of you?" As you goad him, his face starts turning red, and he trembles. "What was it, huh? Did you think you were too good for her?" 

"Stop," he says and you scoff. 

"What, am I wrong? Or are you cheating on her, and you didn't want to tell her? Are you in love with someone else?" You shove his chest and he tumbles a few steps back at your touch. In the back of your mind, you know you couldn't have shoved him if he didn't let you.