chapter seven.

august 21, 2004

august 21, 2004.

The woman who answers, presumably Mrs. Cullen, smiles kindly at you. You shift nervously under her friendly gaze and follow her as she waves you in. 

"Hello! You must be my son's friend! Come on in."

Demurely, you introduce yourself and step to the side once you enter. "It's wonderful to meet you, Mrs. Cullen."

Her brown hair shifts over her shoulders when she turns, leading you through the halls as you quickly pull off your shoes and leave them at the front door. Bag in hand, you venture into a large living room, slightly in awe of how beautifully decorated it is. 

Sitting alone on the floor is Jasper, already working on papers, only pausing to smile at you and Mrs. Cullen. 

You smile back, but ignore him for a moment to pay attention to the woman beside you. "Your home is very beautiful, Mrs. Cullen." 

She shines. "Thank you! Call me Esme, dear."

With warm cheeks, you nod and head over to Jasper. As you sit down across from him, Esme claps her hands together. "Okay, let me know if you two need anything." 

"Thanks, mom," Jasper says and she watches for a few moments longer as you pull papers out of your bag. She nods to herself before she twirls into a different room. 

You look up at Jasper and wiggle your eyebrows. "Your mom seems lovely." 

Jasper looks back at you, entertained. "She is." 

Turning, you dig deeper in your bag to find a pencil. Successful, you pull it out and smile deviously. 

"Shall we get to work?"

|

You laugh, cheeks aching. "You didn't."

Jasper grins at you, eyes bright. "We did. He was upset for weeks."

"You and Alice are pure evil. Remind me to never get on your bad side." At your declaration, Jasper raises his eyebrows playfully and writes his final answer down, tucking the papers into his folder. 

With a hesitant glance, you look at your own. The almost empty sheet stares back at you mockingly. Hanging out with Jasper was relaxing-- so much so that you neglected to do your work.