Chapter 3

"A ripper attack," Vardemus observed.

"Yes, Rupert," Alaric said through clenched teeth. "I've already told you that. Now, will you please answer my question?"

Vardemus turned to Alaric curiously.

"What caused MG to suddenly go all ripper tonight? And how do we cover up something like this?" Alaric said in exasperation.

"Rippers are sensitive beings. All one would have needed to do was feed young Milton here a drop of human blood in a room filled with people, and that would have been enough to set him off the rails," Vardemus said.

"And as for your second question," he shrugged. "I'll admit, the consequences of your student's actions were drastic, but nothing that can't be fixed. Only one student from the Mystic Falls High School died. The rest are in critical condition, yes, but nothing a little vampire blood can't cure. We'll use magic to heal up the dead victim's wounds, and with a couple other enchantments, his body will be as good as new. We'll dunk him in the backyard pool, and compel the survivors to believe that their friend met an untimely death due to drowning. Simple," he clasped his hands together.

It was a good solution, and Alaric knew he should be feeling grateful that Vardemus had come up with a viable idea in such a short amount of time. The thing was, though, the whole nonchalant tone that Vardemus was using was getting on his nerves.

A lot.

"You really should take better care of your students, Alaric," Vardemus said. "This never would have happened at the Mikaelson Academy."

"Right, because you'd just have let MG kill to his heart's content over at your school, am I right?" Alaric said. "You would have told him to embrace his vampire nature, to enjoy the hunt or whatever the hell it is you tell your students."

"On the contrary, we would have been able to help him control his urges," Vardemus scoffed. "Think of us what you will, Alaric, but we truly do have our students' best interests at heart. In fact, just a few years ago, we managed to cure a young vampire of her ripper side completely."

Alaric froze at these words.

"Oh, yes," Vardemus nodded. "Jade was her name, I believe. Lovely girl- She had a good heart. Grew up wanting to help people, you see. She had made up her mind to become a doctor- But then she found out she was a ripper, and she ended up killing several people in town."

"But- But you cured her?" Alaric said, not believing his ears.

"Absolutely," Vardemus said. "A bit of training, a slight bit of psychological conditioning... Nothing too harmful. With our help, it only took two years for her to gain full control over her urges."

"You see the Mikaelson Academy as an evil place, Alaric, but the truth is, we just have different views. Different values. No one can really say which method of education is correct... It differs for each child. But consider it," Vardemus said. "If you transfer Milton to our school, we'll be able to help him in ways that you never could."

*****

"Hope. Andrea. Mikaelson!" Lizzie screamed in front of the gates to the Mikaelson Academy. "Get out here right now, before I kick these fucking gates down!"

"Adorable threat, Lizzie, but these gates are made of titanium alloy," Hope smirked.

Lizzie look upwards, and saw that Hope was perched on top of the smooth marble column in front of her.

"I thought you never wanted to see me again. Did you just miss me too much?" Hope asked.

"I can't believe you would do this," Lizzie said. "I can't believe- As horrible as you are, I thought you had a line you wouldn't cross!"