CARE CENTER-038

BONNIE
ALVAREZ

I finally knew the art of Maddox. He was a contradicting masterpiece. On the plane back home, I had one more assignment left before I kill myself.

My mom. I hadn't seen her in a very long time and they didn't let me see her many times but this time, I was more than determined to see her.

As my eyes went through the window of the plush candy clouds, I realized how the universe was serene from above, the smell of airplane food and the perfumes of the waitresses, I remembered my fake pregnancy and the fake engagement we had to go through. I remembered the encounter I had with Maddox in front of the bus. I remembered the smirk he had when I sat on his lap only to choke him at night.

In some alternative universe, I would have been with him. Smiling, happy, together.

I turned to face Maddox who was beside me in deep thought and the bag that was on his lap that had his treasure, his hardened eyes and his defined jaw was what represented him as the usual Maddox, he never changed but he had slightly changed around me. In the span of the hour on the plane, he no longer flirted or made out with the plane waitresses. Not that I didn't want him to.

I didn't know what that was going to hold out for us once we got out of the plane but I knew our journey was something worth remembering. Two fucked up people united to take on the mafia world and steal my dad's family treasure.

It wasn't the whole treasure, Charlie took enough to fit his strength, there was more but it got taken away by the museum earthquake. It was enough to make Maddox happy.

About the whole dilemma with the dead bodies, well, they all collapsed under the ground with the museum, it was ironic for dad to die along with his secret location. It was the least he deserved for using Maddox's mom and hiring a rapist for his daughter.

Not to mention, sleeping with a girl my age. It was wrong on so many levels.

I got my revenge on the rapist and on the whole world, I got Maddox as my new sidekick and I helped him out with Charlie who was the enemy. As much as Maddox pretended that he didn't care, he was heavily impacted by Charlie's backstabbing and using him through all of his teenage years.

The world went back to normal for us yet our souls were deeply damaged for our world to move on.

There was no such thing as moving on. My plan was set from the beginning. One final visit for mom and my death.

"Look, the newspaper declares the museum destruction created by the owner, could this be true?" a concerned German woman asked the guy beside her, we both heard what she said and the guy shrugged.

At least we saved them from the terror of the mafia killing Germans. Maddox looked at me with his signature smirk.

"So, where are we going spunk?" he asked me and I had gotten used to him saying spunk not that I had any fight since I knew that he was stubborn.

"We?" I asked teasingly and he rolled his eyes at me.

"Are we going to visit your mother?" he questioned, knowing that Victoria's speech affected me.

"I am, you're not," I irritatedly stated, the last thing I wanted was Maddox nagging at my mother's care center.

"Yes, I am even if I have to stalk you," he retaliated with a wide smirk.

"The great Maddox stalking me? that's a compliment," I feigned a heart attack and he nudged my shoulder with his.

"Well, the normal world is boring, I want more action," he stated, after all the dangerous incidents we went through, Maddox ceased to be an adrenaline junkie and a good sport.

He was indeed a spirit animal for anyone who liked full on action.

"That and I want more blondies." I guessed his old ways were coming back to him as he eyed a couple of blondies in front of us before he got hit by me.

As the plane went to a stop, I finally stretched out my limbs as people eyed our bruises and we told them it was because we were near the destruction, they sympathized with us and made way for us to board off of the plane.

"What are you going to do with the treasure?" I asked out of curiosity as he hugged both of them to his chest.

"Going to spend it on girls, bars and pole-" he started to list off and I took the opportunity to take them from his hold as I ran away, "hey, get back here." He shouted as he ran behind me, wind in our hair as we laughed out the remains of our emotions.

I stopped at the airport entrance and gave him back his treasure in mischief, he groaned at his tired knees.

"You run so fast, woman," he commented and I smugly flexed my muscles at him resulting in him insulting me.

"It's time to visit my mom," I said putting a downer on our mood and Maddox just patted my back awkwardly.

"You'll get through it." He claimed and I nodded as we hailed a cab and rode in together. Neither of us knew what happened to the remaining of Charlie's gangs and Maddox decided to go solo.

Imagining Maddox alone in a house sipping coffee and holding a newspaper made me want to laugh.

On the way to the care center that Victoria texted me the address, although I never made peace with her, the least she could do was help me out on the address.

We both got out and I almost wanted to run to the center as it gleamed with shiny letters.

California Care Center. That was where mom was all the time. I remembered the times they would kick me out for the accusation that I was mentally unstable back in the early stages of my teen years.

I walked along with Maddox and the only way Maddox could communicate was by his hand that wrapped around mine.

Anxiety coursed through my veins as I breathe in the beautiful care center scent that included fresh flowers and the fascinating nurses who wore baby pink nursing attires with braided hairs.

"Hey, how can I help you?" The receptionist said.

"I am looking for Olivia Alvarez," I asked tentatively.

"Let me search her up," she said as she typed in her keyboard.

"She's dead."