40 Roses

I cut myself upon the thought of you
And yet I come back to it again and again

Amy Lowell

Him

"What is your order regarding the governors, sayidi?"

"Those we've proofs against, throw them into the dungeons. Those who we still haven't found anything against, investigate their matters some more. I'll decide later about what to do with them."

"And the list of generals, sayidi?"

"Besides the general of Baghdad, the order is the same for them. Capture those who are found guilty. They'll be punished."

"And the general of Baghdad?"

He sighs and pours himself some water from the vessel, taking a sip of it, thinking, before his eyes meet her across the courtroom. When his silence stretches longer and he doesn't answer his servant, she does it for him.

"He'll be replaced and sent away. We've a new general for Baghdad."

Her

Her

The roses in the bushes sway in the breeze and momentarily take her attention away from the hairpin she's holding in her hand. The two crafted flowers on it look as delicate as the ones in the garden. She watches the wind caress them before leaving them alone. But she knows the wind will return for them. It has been playing around with them for a while now.

Noura brings back her focus to the hairpin, one dainty finger tracing the roses on it gently. It is beautiful. She liked it the moment Eskander showed it to her. She had always liked his every gift. Not only because he has a great taste, but because she also valued his gestures-- she would be content knowing he remembers her, wherever he goes.

"You and I could've been, but..."

The wind picks up again. She feels a chill in it, a whisper of a rain to come. Looking up at the sky, she finds it casted and gloomy, the midday sun completely hidden by the thick gray veil of the clouds. But she doesn't budge from the bench she's sitting upon.

"Nour means light."

"What does my name mean, baba jan?"

"Eskander means defender of the people."

"I'll live to my name. I'll fight for my people."

"You'll make a noble soldier, my son, and a great general like your late father. You'll honor him, and you'll honor me, if God wills it."

She twirls the the hairpin between her fingers. In the distance, she sees Arwa walking down the pathway with a man besides her as they both talk, probably one of the soldiers from his looks, but seemingly of high rank from his outfit.