Chapter 18: Oh Crap

When I got down to entrance of the castle I saw a carriage begin unloaded with a bunch of kids coming out. There was some on stretchers, some who could barely walk, some who limped, and when I glanced into the carriage I saw a few people that were dead still laying on the floor. The Elves and the Gifted were running everywhere trying to be helpful. I horrified by the scene, and I looked around at all of the faces, trying to recognize people, but my brain wasn't focusing. I suddenly started to feel dizzy, so I fell against the wall and tried to keep the nausea from coming. How could someone do something so horrible? I fell to the floor and put my head in my hands. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, and I slowly looked up to find Kase standing above me. I jumped up and gave him a tight hug. He seemed surprised at first, but then he hug me back just as tight. We stood their hugging each other for a long time, and when we pulled back I was surprised to find my cheeks wet with tears. He put his hand my shoulders and got really close to me so I couldn't look away. "It's going to be okay." he said, and I closed my eyes and shook my head, "Look at this! How can this be okay?" I asked in a small sad voice, and I opened my eyes to his looking at me with a look of determined hope. "We can recover from this. This school is strong." he said, and I hugged him again. It felt good to have someone I could put my guard down around. I trusted Kase and I felt save when he was with me. "Tell me everything that happened." I demanded, and he pulled back just as I saw C walking up. "C!" I said and he smiled, "So, my brilliant plan worked." he said, and I knew he was trying to make a joke, but I just didn't have the energy to laugh. I realized that he was reading my mind when his face became dark, "Yes, people you know got hurt." he said, and I felt my body go cold, "Who?" I asked, and he took a deep breath, "Grey got stabbed in the leg, Kimberly got hit really hard in the head, and Oliver is in some sort of Wizard coma. Hue, Turk and Thalia are missing, just like a lot of students." he said, and my knees got weak. "What happened to all of those little kids?" I asked, and Kase answered this one, "Lots of people got injured, and lots of people just went running. After the attack about half are injured, and a lot are missing. Everyone that was okay who had a place to go home to, went home. Some who don't have a home to go too stayed to help... There was also some who died. There was twenty people who died." he said, and I felt numb. "This was a school! Why would someone attack a school?" I asked, and he shook his head, "drastic people take drastic measures." he said, and I looked over the people who were being brought in on the stretchers and the pain on everyone's faces. This was not the way I imagined an amazing fairy tale world to be like. I realized in that moment that this world was real, and it was not safe. "Where is my grandmother?" I asked, and they looked at each other, "She disappeared." C said, and my heart dropped. I had just gotten to know my grandmother and now she was missing. There was lot of people in pain and I knew I could help. I decided that my fear and sadness could wait. There was more important things right now.

I spent the whole day helping move the injured people into the make shift hospital the elfish people had set up. I also ran around fetching supplies and preparing food for the people who need it. It was a war scene and I was overwhelmed with sadness every time I walked into the huge room. I talked to the people and tried to lift their spirits, but my even mine weren't even close to begin lifted. I found Grey and he was awake, but in pain. The huge gash on his leg had gotten infection and it was going to be okay, but it extremely painful. I helped him clam down, and told him he was going to make it. I helped the elfish healers late into the night. I was walking a plate of food into the hospital room, and suddenly my arms just gave out and I dropped the plate. I let out a loud frustrated noise. Kase walked over to me and helped me start picking everything up. "You need to get rest Esme." he said, and I shook my head, "No, I'm fine." I said, and he raised an eye brow, "You look like you haven't slept in two days. You need your rest to able to help these people." he said, and I about to continue arguing, but the flash back of what happened when I argued with Reael shot into my head, and I instantly back down. I rubbed my eyes, and he put a hand on my shoulder, "Go, rest." he said, and I nodded. I stumbled back to my room and passed out on the bed before I could even think about what was happening.