01

Early-Mid 1943

Steve, after failing to be approved for military service once again, made his way to the theater and awaited his friends as he watched a short about helping the war effort.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve shot back.

The guy got up and looked at him. Steve stared at him, realizing he'd made a mistake. But the man was a bully, and he couldn't let that slide.

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The two were soon in an alley. Steve tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down.

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

--

Liesl locked her shop and pocketed the key.

"Perfect timing, doll," a voice said from behind.

She turned to see her husband and smiled. "Great timing yourself. We are meeting Steve at the theater, right?"

"Assuming he hasn't gotten himself into trouble, yes."

Liesl chuckled softly. "Steve getting himself into trouble? Now why does that sound famili-" She started running down the street as grunts and groans echoed.

"Liesl, wait! Where are you going?!" He groaned. "Not again."

Bucky ran after his wife towards the sounds and arrived just in time to see her hit the man.

The man in turn, hit her back and Bucky's jaw clenched.

Bucky stalked up and said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size! And never hit a lady!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away. He glanced back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched." He turned to Liesl and checked her over. "Are you okay?"

Liesl nodded. "I'll be fine, Buck."

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied.

Bucky squeezed Liesl's hand gently and picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Liesl wrinkled her nose. "Really? Jersey? I mean, seriously."

Steve ignored their words and asked, "You get your orders?"

"The 107th," Bucky said. "Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

Liesl glanced at her husband. "I told Bucky I'll be joining him. Sort of. I've offered up my sewing services, so I'll be going with you all."

Bucky smiled at her. "We could certainly use an expert seamstress, doll."

Steve looked between them. "I should be going."

"Come on, man. It's my last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve wondered.

"The future." He handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Liesl looked at the ad and smiled. "James, I do believe you've outdone yourself in surprises."

Bucky kissed her cheek and returned her smile. "Just you wait, doll. I hear it's quite spectacular."

"Well, if it looks anything remotely similar to this picture, I wouldn't expect anything less."