Chapter 31

The shrewd and vicious face of Lob swirled above her, the soldier who'd accosted her in the great hall and been sent away because of it. His face was stubbled as she remembered it, but he wore different soldier's attire, in colors that belonged to another Welsh kingdom whose lord was here for the council.

As Brienna struggled to get her breath back, Lob bent over her, grinning. He appeared relaxed, unafraid that anyone would come across them in their sheltered spot away from the main path that went to the castle.

"Why are ye always trying to run away from me?" he asked. He reached out and brushed a piece of hair that had come loose out of her face. "Do it again and I'll start to think you don't like me."

All Brienna wanted to do was leap up and run, or claw at his face, or scream in his face, but her lungs wouldn't take in any air and she thought she might die there, on the dirt, before he had a chance to touch her.

But she was wrong. With sudden urgency, Lob fell on her and started pulling away the layers of clothing she wore, bunching the fabric higher and higher up her legs.

Even though she couldn't breathe, she could still feel. She could feel the hard calluses as his hands slid against her calved. She could smell his damp leather and fetid breath scent. And she could feel the solid length of her dagger's hilt where it was tucked up into her sleeve.

While Lob was distracted in is efforts to disrobe her, Brienna reached up her sleeve with painstaking slowness, not wanting to attract Lob's attention before she had her knife in hand. Her fingers touched the hilt, under the cuff, snug against her wrist.

Impatient with her dress, Lob suddenly foisted himself on top of her, using his knees to bash her legs apart. The shock of that gave Brienna the boost she needed to finally drag in a lung-full of air as she recalled the fatal points that Llewellyn had showed her—where on a man's body a short blade could do the most damage.

Eyes, she thought, but Lob's head was bowed and only his hard skull was open to her.

Neck. But Lob wore a leather torque like many soldiers, which protected him from just such a blow.

Heart. But his chest was pressed into Brienna's with barely a hair's width between them.

Thighs.

Lob had undone his breeches and his legs were now bare to the knees.

"Shall I whisper sweet nothing's in yer ear while I go," he was hissing at her, "or do ye prefer if I just call you what you are, ya c—"

Just as he was about to make his first thrust, Brienna ripped her dagger loose and jabbed downward, aiming for the meatiest part of Lob's hairy thigh. She knew she had found her mark by the look on Lob's face, which was inches from hers. Menace turned to bright bewilderment, then twisted up in pain.

He started to scream, and Brienna took that as an opportunity to roll out from under him, withdrawing the dagger as she did so. She staggered up and leaned against the trunk of a tree, holding the blood-soaked blade in front of her in case he came after her again.

Lob clutched at his wound, his scream quickly fading into panting agony.

The pounding of horses galloping towards them turned both their heads; Brienna shuddered in relief as she saw Llewellyn at the head of a party of hunters just clearing the trees nearest the path as they thundered toward her. When she looked back, Lob was making a run for it, weaving wildly through the forest.

Llewellyn rode up to her, pulling his horse short in the knick of time.

"Are you all right? We heard the screams as we were coming over the hill," he said, vaulting from his saddle and rushing to her.

"I'm unhurt," she assured him. He stared at the dripping dagger she still held in one hand. "It was Lob," she explained. "He must have come in with the ranks of the Earl from Brecon, I think I recognized the colors."

Behind Llewellyn, the Earl of Brecon rode forward in the hunting party.

"Scurrilous cad," he barked, then set off in pursuit of Lob, whose back could be seen dodging through the dark green leaves.

Llewellyn looked after him.

"I should go too," he said.

"Don't," Brienna said, reaching out for his arm.

He froze for a second, startled by the gesture. Then he nodded. "Can I accompany you back to the castle?"

"Yes," Brienna answered.