Chapter 39

"Take the king to his chambers and lock him in until after the ceremony," Donnall told his soldiers, who surrounded Llewellyn with the points of their swords tensed toward him.

"Now, wait a minute," Ruarc said.

Brienna felt a faint twinge of hope. If there was one thing she could trust her brother to be, it was pragmatic. He had the unbridled ambition of a youngest son and he had, by now, gleaned the fact that his sister had captured the interest of the most powerful king in Wales. It would be of huge advantage to Connaught if they were married; far more than the one they would gain were she to marry a prince of Leinster.

Donnall, astute as always, caught on at once that this was how Ruarc was thinking and tightened his grip on Brienna. The soldiers had Llewellyn in hand and Ruarc was hesitating, torn between ambition and loyalty.

"Perhaps we should all lay down our weapons and have a discussion about this," he said.

Donnall pointed his newly-acquired sword at him.

"Ruarc, I already think of you as a brother. Do not make me run you through in front of your sister."

Her brother was staring down the point of the raised weapon and there was no one left who could protect her. In what Brienna felt was her last chance, she ripped her dagger out from under her bodice and spun, just as Llewellyn had taught her, aiming to bring the knife up under Donnall's chin.

Too late, she saw that she'd underestimated his height; the force of her thrust was spent too soon and her fist clutching the knife skidded just under his collarbone. It was enough of a misstep that Donnall was able to throw down the sword and catch her wrist, disarming her with his other hand. He forced her back around and clung to her across her upper body, immobilizing her. He pressed the razor-sharp blade under her jaw, against her neck.

"Thank you," he hissed into her hair. She turned her face away to avoid the spittle that sprayed from his lips. He gave orders to his men. "Take the king and my bride's brother to the lowest room in the castle you can find. I'm sure they'll come quite easily now." He pressed the knife closer to Brienna's skin. "Keep them there until the wedding is over and you've received word from me to release them."

Tears bit at her eyes when Brienna realized that not only had she failed to get him off of her, but she'd given him the only leverage he needed to keep Llewellyn and Ruarc at bay: herself. They went pliantly, Donnall's soldiers barely having to lead them. Ruarc's face was shocked and stricken, as if the world had shaken under him and upset all that he'd held true. Llewellyn's was clouded with fury, but he went, head bowed, to the door.

"I'm sorry," she called to him just before he disappeared. "I have let you down."

He stopped and turned to her. "Never. Not once, in the whole time you have been here." Then one of the men nudged him with the hilt of his sword and Llewellyn preceded him out of the room.

When they were both gone, Donnall lowered the dagger and let her go, but kept a firm grip on her wrist. She glared back at his narrowed pupils boring down on her.

"Now, before you think of doing something else to sabotage this day, know that if you do, I will slay your king and your brother and serve them up like roast lamb at the wedding feast."

"Isn't that what you intend to do anyway, after we are married? Turn your back on your family's promises and attack Connaught and then Wales?"

Surprise flashed on Donnall's face that his deception had been found out, but he didn't have the decency to look ashamed of his two-facedness. He tossed his head haughtily, sending wisps of hair scattering across his forehead.

"There's a chance I could be persuaded to delay my plan, assuming you have the skills to keep me occupied in our conjugal bed," he said.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked. "Admit it—you don't even like me."

"You didn't give me a chance," he retorted.

She could tell there was no reasoning with him now. He was vengeful as a child who's had a toy taken away from him and will do anything to take back ownership of what he considers his property. It was like he took pleasure in having an excuse to treat her roughly.

Taking her hand, he dragged her down the stairs, back to her room. She looked past him, further down the stairwell, hoping to see anyone who could help her or who she could send to help Llewellyn, but of course there was no one; the entire castle was in the great hall, preparing for the ceremony.

Donnall closed the door behind them and stood in front of it, sliding the bolt in the lock. Brienna's stomach lurched as she realized he was going to stand there and watch her change. As slowly as she could, she began laying things out, taking the gauzy linen shift and gown from their wooden chest and spreading them on the bed, fussing over the veil that was spotless and didn't need it. But soon there was nothing left for her to do but undress.