20

"SHE'S A star, isn't she?" Anderson comments. We're on a break, and Bethany has been doing well so far. Other than a little bickering from Saskia, things are going smoothly. It's like Bethany's meant for this part.

I know that she also enjoys getting to be open about her sexuality. It's not everyday that a lesbian can play the role of who she really is, so I'd say that Bethany's living the dream.

"Can I talk to you for a moment, boss?" My face heats up, as Bethany walks over to me, with the sweetest smile on her face.

"Sure," I say. Anderson gives me a teasing look and giggles, as I lead Bethany into my office.

"What's up, babe?" I smile widely at her.

"When's your date with your ex?" That catches me off guard, and I have to sit down. To be honest, I keep forgetting about that, since it's so far at the back of my mind. But it's there, like a clingy kitten—impossible to ignore.

"Um," she stands in front of me, and crosses her arms over her chest, "I haven't gotten around to actually—" she leans down, and places a quick kiss on my lips.

"Good. I don't want you to."

I hum and inhale a breath. I wish it could be that easy. Placing my hands on her waist, I lean my forehead against her stomach and sigh.

"I don't want to either," she knows this, but it's good to remind her, "I really don't."

She runs her fingers along the back of my neck, and fumbles with the end of my ponytail, "it's settled then," she says.

"Yeah," I begin to worry. I already promised Ethan that I would, but how can I disappoint Bethany? If I were her, I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't want the person that I'm with to have anything to do with their ex, much less go on a date with them.

"I've been meaning to answer that question that I've been holding off," her thumb brushes against my ear, and I'm getting nauseated. I'm worried and excited at the same time.

"What question?" I tease, as I lean back. She gives me a goofy grin, and moves her thumb over my cheek.

"Whether or not I'll be your girlfriend," it sounds so odd. Girlfriend. I sometimes feel too old to have a girlfriend. The word better suits teenagers, and people in their twenties, not a fifty year old divorcee with four kids.

They say fifty is the new twenty, and that it's the prime years of our lives. But that's just for us old folks to believe to keep our happiness and hope alive. I'm not that old, I believe. But reality and the mind tell time differently, don't they?

"Take your time," I mumble.

IT'S TUESDAY night, and I'm on the couch watching the news, while eating a bowl of cereal. Looking through my emails, I receive a message from Petah.

Petah: Open the front door.

I groan and turn off the television. Getting up, I carry my bowl over to the sink.

Me: Why should I?

I pull up a picture of Bethany on my phone and sigh. With God's grace, I'll get through the next few minutes without going insane.

Petah: Because I want to talk about things relating to our pregnant daughter.

Oh right, as though that's the only reason why you're at my doorstep. I head to the front door, and swing it open, only to see Petah standing in front of me with a bouquet of red roses. It's a bad choice, since my favorite flowers are white lilies, and roses are actually hers.

She says, "I thought you'd leave me out here in the freezing cold," that's unlikely, since we're in the summer. She grins and stretches the flowers towards me. I frown and take a long breath, crossing my arms over my chest.