10. "Dates"

Roman James

"Tired?" I asked her and she hummed and closed her eyes while setting her head on her hands.

I smiled, sitting up more, filling out the chem papers.

As I was writing she looped her arms through my left one and laid her head onto it setting warm fire to spread through my chest and body.

"I'm just gonna lay here." She mumbled and I laughed, pressing a kiss to her head.

"You do that." I mumbled and kept filling mine out.

-

When the class was almost done I looked at her and she was sleeping against me, her head smushed and cheeks rubbed along my arm.

I waited for the bell to ring and the teacher walked to me.

"Found her James?" Mr. McGee asked.

"I did. Thank my mom." I joked without a smile.

"When I got that call I was shocked but I think she'll be good for you. Have a great weekend." He patted my shoulder and walked away.

I grabbed her notebook and pencil, putting it in my back pack, grabbing her water and putting it in there.

"Wake up Evie." I said and she groaned before opening her eyes.

"We're the last ones." She looked at me with wide eyes.

"Yea it's fine. I have your school stuff just drive home, take a nap." I helped her up.

"Ow my thighs were like glue to that chair." She touched the back of them and I smiled.

"Let's go." I said and she came along, grabbing my hand and I intertwined our fingers causing my heart to race.

-

I got my homework done, by the window as my mate was sleeping peacefully in her bed.

The urge to just go and lay beside her, putting my face into her neck was strong and nearly mouthwatering.

My parents had just gotten home for what they called a second date but I heard concerning sniffles.

I walked down, Victor not being home, probably at his friend Leo's house.

"Hey what's wrong?" I asked and my mom sobbed into my dad.

My dads eyes burned a red I'd never seen.

"Son, let's go on a walk?" He asked and I nodded, offering a hug to my mom.

She hugged me, her head in my chest, I held her tightly feeling her body heave.

"I love you." She looked up at me and I grew confused and worried.

"I love you too." I nodded and my dad nodded me over to the door.

I walked outside with him as we went around the block.

He cleared his throat, fixing his buttoned shirt as if it were too tight on him.

"So the past two 'dates' weren't dates." He said and I hummed.

"They were doctors appointments." He said and I stoped walking.

"What's wrong?" I urged, now horrified, my throat pinching.

"Your mom is sick son." He looked at me and I shut my eyes, taking a sharp breath, wishing for the comfort of sugar and cinnamon to just float by me.

"My mate is sick." He broke a sob and I grabbed him before he dropped to the concrete.

I held him in a tight hug as he hugged me.

"Is it lethal?" I asked.

"There is a high chance, through kemo she'll be okay." He croaked and I felt a tear fall.

I couldn't fathom hearing Everleigh got sick. I wasn't even with her much and I couldn't imagine the pain.

My parents have been together 25 years. Met at 12.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, trying to be strong for the man aching in a way I'd never seen.

"I want you to do me a favor son." He pulled away, his hands on my shoulders.

I nodded, trying not to cry.

"Act normal for mom, she doesn't want anyone worrying for her, she's more optimistic about this than it seemed but try? Bring Everleigh around more, keep the joy. It's what's best." He said and I nodded.

"Thank you. I'm sorry." He shook his head and looked down, rubbing his hands along his reddened face.

"It's okay, she'll get through." I nodded.

"You're a brave boy Roman, now I know your dying to see someone right next door so go ahead." He dismissed and I looked seeing I wasn't far from our houses.

I went through my window, into her room.

I stood by the window and she woke up, sitting up before glancing at me.

"What's wrong?" Her face contorted into a face of pain and I walked to her, dropping myself at her feet, and holding onto her waist, crying into her lap.

I took a deep breath savoring the burn that I loved.

Her hands raked through my hair and I calmed down.

"Do you wanna talk or just be here?" She asked and I wished I carried the strength to look at her face but I just kept my head in her lap.

"Both." I mumbled and she hummed, her hands moving my my arms that circled her waist, running her nails along the bare skin providing me tingles.

I sat up and looked up at her, sitting on my heels.

"Awe." She pouted her lower lip and touched my cheeks, wiping whatever dampness was left.

"My mom is sick." I put my head down and she picked it back up.

"Bad?" She asked.

"I'm not sure yet but the doctors think Kemo will save her." I said and she sighed.

"Come on." She pulled away and moved into her bed, opening the covers.

"You sure?" I asked.

"Come here." She said and I did, removing my shoes.

I held her to me and her head was in my chest as she was nestled against me.

"Do you own a car?" She asked.

"Yes." I responded.

"Do you like motorcycles better?"

"Yes."

"What's you favorite color?"

"Purple."

"Why?"

"It's cool."

"Lame."

"What?"

"You're dry." She joked.

I flipped her under me and laid on her, putting my face in her neck.

Her arms went around my head and she knotted her fingers within my hair.

I took a deep breath, loving being with her.

"Will you be okay?" She asked quietly.

"I'll be fine baby." I mumbled and I pressed my lips to her jugular feeling her heart beating quickly.

"What's that for?" I asked.

"What?" She asked.

"You're hearts beating so fast." I chuckled.

"Pet names." She mumbled and I already knew but the confirmation made it better.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"Of course."