Chapter 4

October 31, 1963

The next morning I woke up with a headache.
I slowly got up from bed and limped to the bathroom.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.
I looked horrible.

I got undressed and took a look at my leg.
There was a huge bruise and it hurt to move.

I stepped into the shower and waited for the water to get warm. It finally did and I began cleaning myself. In there, I noticed there was also a bruise on my arm. Once I was out I dried myself and put on clean clothes. I brushed my teeth and walked over to my room. I grabbed my bag and walked downstairs. I had no intentions of eating with my parents that morning so rather than sitting at the table I walked out the front door. 

I began my journey to school.

Only this time, I couldn't run.

So instead, I limped.

I had finally gotten to school and stepped into my classroom. 

I smiled when I saw Michael.

There were no tables, nor were there any seats.

"Perfect! Now that you're all here, we can begin! You're probably wondering where everything is. Well, if you remember, I told you kids that today we were going to watch movies! That is exactly what we're going to do. But first, I need to take attendance."

My teacher did exactly that and after seeing that everyone was there she continued talking. 

"First, I'd like to set some rules.
There is to be no talking during the movie. If you do then I will stop the movie and we will never do anything like this again. From what I know, the rest of the classrooms are still working. Talking loudly will disrupt the other classes and that will not be permitted.
Once I allow you kids to sit on the floor then the place you choose to sit will be permanent. Switching places with any other students is not aloud.
Finally, once you get your snacks, please, don't make a mess.
Sounds good?"

The classroom agreed to her rules.

"Perfect! Now that we have all of that out of the way, you may all sit! I'll begin the movie and pass out snacks in a bit!" she said.

I walked over to Michael.

"Hi, Michael." 

"Hi." he said quietly.

"Hey, guys!" Mary yelled while walking towards us.

Behind her was Christopher and Melissa.

"Here! Sit with us!" she yelled as she grabbed both mine and Michaels arm.

I winced and pulled my arm away.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you." Mary said quietly.

"It's okay." I assured her.

Michael walked over to me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded.

The five of us sat down and turned our heads to the direction of the projector.

Our teacher eventually began the movie and passed out snacks.

"Hey Y/n, Michael, do you guys want to go trick-or-treating with us?" Mary asked while pointing at Christopher and Melissa.

"I don't know if I'm going trick-or-treating." I said.

"Aww! Why not?" 

I shrugged.

"Do you want to come with us?" Mary asked Michael.