FOUR

"I THINK YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH," KRISTEN CLEARED HER THROAT, though Bradley didn't stop his push-ups

"I THINK YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH," KRISTEN CLEARED HER THROAT, though Bradley didn't stop his push-ups. It was painful to watch, he'd surely surpassed 100 by now but was so numb and upset that he just kept going. Kristen clenched her jaw tightly, "Rooster stop."

She shuffled next to him, with enough space, and threw her bag to the floor. Within a minute,  Kristen was matching his pace of pushups. She did so in silence, dreading the feeling that made her do them in the first place.

He eventually spat at the ground, mustering strength to stand up as he wore himself out — Kristen didn't bat an eyelash, wanting to maintain her strong appearance. He avoided her eye, turning to leave as soon as his feet were flat on the ground again. This time she stood and grabbed his arm, "Bradley."

"Yes Lieutenant Kazansky," Bradley looked down at the girl. With annoyance from being referred to so formally, she poked his chest, "This shit with you and Maverick isn't going to work the way it's going."

"I never said it would," He sulked.

"Don't go having a temper tantrum now Roost," Kristen locked her eyes with his, "I know you want this as much as I do, so you need to let this grudge go for you. Not for him."

"It's not just a grudge Kit and you know that," Bradley gritted his teeth, "He's the reason I never grew up with a father and he's the same reason my career got held back. You didn't have that. He didn't hold you back and he didn't take someone you loved from him."

Kristen's heart raced a little faster when she saw the frustration coarse through his face, "Mav loved your dad. Even I know that much."

"Guess that's another lesson for us to learn here," Bradley shook his head, "Love can't mean all that much can it? Cus if it did, almighty Captain Pete Mitchell wouldn't have gotten involved with my papers at the academy."

Kristen bit her tongue afterward and the two stood in an awkward silence. She ended up running her hands through her hair as she took a breath, "I'm going on this mission Rooster, with or without you. But I think we both know that I want you up there with me. Stop trying to throw it away! W-we used to be the dream team."

"I know," He tried to simmer. Rooster thought about walking away, taking a few steps but turned to face the girl once more, "No, you know what? Kristen, did you know he was gonna be here today?"

She nodded, "I thought he'd show, I didn't know he was going to be our teacher."

"Great," Rooster frowned, "You know how much I can't stand him, a heads up would've been nice."

"God! You need to pull your head out of your ass and stop taking your anger out on me, Bradshaw," She spat in response, "I'm not willing to fight with you over this bullshit again."

——

KRISTEN RETURNED TO HER APARTMENT, showered and headed straight for Penny's bar. She was never one to drink around the time of a mission or important job but today's frustration hit her a little too hard. She didn't want to get drunk, she just wanted something. And while she wouldn't admit it, she really needed some words of wisdom from her favourite bartender, Penny.