Chapter 12

Everyone stood at the bottom of Miss Rodriguez's office. The sun was beginning to rise and the sky grew into a shade of blue. Everyone was worn out and more or less injured from the night's events. The agents at Rodriguez's Mansion had won and were bringing the assassins into custody.

Alex stood in the cold with no coat, his shirt torn in places, the right side of his head smudged with blood, and his hair wet with blood. He was looking up at the sky with a blank expression. Allison looked at Alex and said, "It's time." Alex closed his eyes, his head still tilted upwards, took a deep breath in and released it, then smiled and opened his eyes. Ava heard it and asked Alex, "Time for what?"

Alex pulled her close to him and looked at her with a smile on his face. He gently put her hair behind her ear and said, "They are gonna arrest me too."

Ava burst out, "But you didn't do anything! Why are they taking you in? You helped to ca-"

Alex pulled her into a hug before she could complete her sentence. He released her after a second and told her, "Listen this isn't goodbye. There will be a trial, and if I get a good lawyer my prison time will be less. You can't get rid of me so soon, you still owe me a first date." Ava laughed, but tears started to pour out of her eyes. Alex kissed her passionately one last time.

When he released her, he turned around to face Jane and Ariana. They had heard the whole conversation. Jane's face was one of utter disbelief and confusion. She stuttered to Allison, "NO! No there must be some kind of mistake.......Alex is the reason you got to catch Smith. And Smith made him kill all those people! Why aren't you arresting me too?"

Allison calmly but in a sad tone, "He's being charged for the murder of Mr.Garrick."

"But- but- this isn't fair!" said Jane desperately on the verge of tears. Ariana just watched her quietly.

Alex went over to Jane and told her to calm down.

"CALM DOWN?! HOW THE FUCK CAN I CALM DOWN?! YOU SON OF A BITCH- YOU- YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME JUST LIKE THAT."

"I'm not giving up on you Jane. I'll come back soon, I promise."

"YEAH AFTER HOW LONG?" shouted Jane, but her voice started to break as she could feel tears pouring out. Alex pulled Jane into a hug. Ariana joined in the hug and said in a low whisper, "But we still need you, Alex."

Alex looked at both the girls and smiled, "Listen, you both are the strongest people I know. You don't need me, you will do well on your own. I'm so grateful and honored to have watched you both grow. And I'm sorry, I'm extremely sorry for failing you guys. You bring out the best in me." He pulled them again into a hug, "I love you guys so much."

"I love you too," said Jane through sniffs. Ariana's cheeks were filled with tears.

Alex released them. Allison put handcuffs on Alex's hand and said, "Alexander Johnson, you are under arrest."