Ch4 The Royal Academy, P7

Chapter 4: The Royal Academy (7)
~4.7~
*****

Once everyone caught up, the instructor coughed loudly to interrupt the sibling bickering. "The last of your classmates are arriving." The two nodded and waited quietly for the next phase of the test. Now that everyone had caught up, Line directed the group toward the training grounds. Inside were several target dummies resembling scarecrows. The class stood near the door.

"This must be the magic casting phase," Michelle said.

"Indeed," the instructor replied. "As I call your names, you'll step forward and unleash a single offensive spell. As you've surely noticed, there are many targets. You may unleash a single massive attack on one or a wide area attack to hit them all. This isn't a competition, and I don't need the school blown away, so those of you that are more capable... keep it manageable." Kye, Alethea, Liliana, and Aliana all froze in their tracks. "Any volunteers to go first?" A handful of students stepped forward. "You may go first. State your name and cast your spell."

"Rika Tachibana of Nippon Sekai."

I wonder how much she's progressed since we last sparred. Her mana is comparable to most of the class, but Rika was trained by Lady Ginchiyo and is quite clever with her spells.

"Show us what you've got."

Rika stepped forward and raised her hand. Electric sparks appeared around her body as she prepared her attack. Once she was ready, she quickly lowered her hand with her index and middle fingers pointing at the target dummy. "<<Ikazuchi>>." A bolt of lightning shot out from her fingertips and hit the target dummy in the center before splitting off and hitting all the other targets. Nothing was left but mana residue.

She opted for a simple spell with precise control. That's very like her. I was hoping she'd do something more flashy, but since this is just a test she went with control rather than power.

"Well done, you destroyed them all." Line snapped her finger and more target dummies appeared out of nowhere to replace those that were destroyed. "Next. State your name and have at it."

"Colton Becker," said a brown-haired boy. He formed a rock between his hands and after a few moments of concentration he launched it above the center target dummy. "<<Rain of Stone>>." As the rock flew over the central target dummy, it exploded into shards that shredded all of the target dummies.

Impressive. No shards flew in any direction that had no target. He's clearly practiced that spell.

"You are one of the commoner scholarship students, according to your profile," the instructor said. "I'm quite pleased seeing a commoner control magic so precisely."

"Yes, Ma'am. I hail from the countryside beyond the mountains to the west of the capital."

"Keep up the good work."

He bowed and stepped back into the crowd to make way for the next student.

"Luka Romanov of Alcanus." He formed a blade of water in front of him. "<<Blade Dance>>." Suddenly, he shoved his hand forward and the blade rocketed forward, splitting into several smaller blades and slicing each target dummy to shreds.

"Well done." The instructor noted his performance and then added aloud, "This class seems to be setting a precedent of destroying all the targets. The bar is rather high right from the start. Next"

Liliana stepped forward next. "Liliana Venturi of Nippon Sekai. <<Flare>>." She held out her hand and launched a simple, yet powerful, ball of golden fire at the central target dummy. The ensuing explosion incinerated all of the targets.