17 | Just The Two of Us (Bea)

I see Ross approaching in a fading sunset light.

A smile spreads across my face as my heart skips a beat. He looks a bit out of breath, but his eyes are filled with such joy. I wave him over to the camping tent I've set up in this secluded area here at Saratoga Lake.

The first thing Ross does is run into my arms. I barrel into his hug, his embrace tight and comforting, and I nuzzle his stubbly cheek with affection. He scans me anxiously, his eyes filled with concern. I can feel care radiating from him, and it warms my heart.

"Hey, Bea," Ross whispers into my ear, his voice filled with tenderness. "So sorry I couldn't come sooner. The bus schedule from New Town to Saratoga was a bit of a nightmare."

"That's fine," I whisper back. "You're here now, and that's what matters."

"Are you okay? Are you feeling well? After everything that happened yesterday I was so worried." He holds me tighter, his touch sending shivers down my spine.

I lean into his magical embrace, feeling a sense of security wash over me. We just stand there, wrapped in each other's warmth, cherishing the perfect moment. In his tender, caring hug, I find solace and strength.

Then I sigh and nod, pulling away from Ross. A small, serene smile spreads across my face. "I'm fine, Ross. I should be the one asking you how you are. And Lu. And Z-man. Lu told me he's on the mend?" I sit on the frozen grass, and pat the spot next to me on a quirky, cute winter blanket adorned with multiple illustrations of guinea pigs.

Ross drops down next to me with eagerness. "He is. Feeling loads better. He told me to convey a secret message."

I quirk a brow. "Oh? Which is?"

"Tell Bea it's not her fault. That it was my choice, and my choice alone, dude. You tell her that. His words."

"Yes, that does sound like him, mostly because of the "dude" part." We both laugh mirthfully at the same time.

"It's so good to see you," he says.

I feel a surge of happiness. "You too, Ross. I've missed you." Even if we haven't seen each other in only two days, a little voice in the back of my head adds.

Ross takes a moment to catch his breath, his eyes scanning the surroundings. "This place is amazing. How did you find it?"

I gesture towards the serene lake surrounding us. "I stumbled upon it some months ago during one of my early autumn hikes in the region. It's a true hidden gem."

We sit there, enjoying the peacefulness of the moment, the sound of the gentle breeze rustling through the trees. In this secluded paradise, it's just Ross and me. Just the two of us.

In silence, we stare out over the rolling gelid expanse.

The sky shifts from sooty gray into periwinkle, then to a weird soupy green. In the end, the clouds fill with melon pink light.

"Porsche pink." We say at the same time and giggle. "Jinx."

Like a shimmering disk too rich and clear to be described, the sun slips over the horizon and lines everything with gold.

"It's like seeing the world being born, and we are the sole witnesses," says Ross.

"Or it's like seeing the world dying. And not being able to do anything about it, just watch on helplessly." I wring my hands.

He swallows but continues in a faux-cheerful tone. "Speaking of dying, too bad my battery died. I love drawing and taking photos, and that is what I want to do for a living."