havoc

El's cries are muffled by the wood between her teeth. I find myself glancing frantically between her leg and the ceiling. I felt sick at the sight of Johnathan digging his fingers into her flesh but I couldn't help peek at it every couple of seconds.

After some moments of struggling the girl begs for him to stop. "I can- I can do it" she whimpers pushing herself into a sitting position.

Stretching out a hand she focuses on the moving mass in her mangled leg and rips it out with a yell. A small leach like creature lands just a few feet away crawling off when a large boot crushes down on it. Trailing my eyes up I'm relieved to see Hopper accompanied by Joyce and...a stranger?

***

When we manage to brief Hopper on the whole situation and he tells everyone that he'll go shut off the machine in the Russians base to close the gate and kill of the mind flayer once and for all.

Erica being her iconic self scoffs "so you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commy Disneyland?"

The chief makes a grunt of displeasure because as always he thinks he knows everything. Sure he's a badass but sometimes he's dumb.

"Sorry who are you?" The stranger with a thick beard asks as he looks up from his map.

"Erica Sinclair, who are you?"

"Murray...Bauman" he draws out the words seemingly stunned by her attitude. Go Erica!

"Listen Mr Bumman I've spent a lot of time in that shit hole and if you think you can just walk to the giant lazer you're gonna die"

"Why is this four year old speaking to me?!" He grunts casting a look around the group.

"Um I'm ten you bald bastard"

"Erica!" Lucas shouts.

"Just the facts" she shrugs. Queen.

"She's right you're going to die" Dustin interjects "but you don't have to, not if you let us help you"

Hop just sighs and shakes his head "no"

"Listen to the kid grandpa, he's like a super genius" I chime in.

"Just, let us guide you there at least" Dustin pleas.

"No you're not coming" the man shouts running a hand over his face.

"We don't have to come with you! We just need...a super powerful radio tower that can reach hundreds of feet below ground" the curly haired boy grabs the end of his cap in fake thought "oh wait! I have one"

***

Just like that I found myself packed in a car with Robin, Steve and our child friends. Dustin was yelling out directions for my brother to follow until we reach a steep hill. "Are we going to make it up there?" I ask with mild concern in my tone.

"We'll make it" Steve reassures as he presses the gas pedal and tears up the grass. We make it almost to the top but the wheels eventually refuse to carry on.

"Dammit" Dustin mutters.

With a sigh I get out and follow everyone else up the last stretch of hillside. There at the peak is a super sci-fi looking tower. Huh, he really did make this thing. I'm impressed.

"Bald eagle do you copy?" Dustin calls over the receiver.

"Yes I copy but do you have to use that code name?" Murray groans.

I think it's pretty funny...

A tap on my shoulder draws my attention away from the conversation "do you really think they can do this?" Robin questions with sad eyes.

"They've done it twice before" I shrug. I don't know how to feel to be honest.

"So... you've done this twice too?"

I smile a little at her curiosity "once, I was out of the loop the first time round"

She just nods avoiding eye contact. I want her to look at me. Mindlessly I reach for her cheeks forcing her gaze my way.

"Y/n I- I know this is stupid in the face of Russia trying to open a gate to an evil monster dimension but-" she pauses to take a deep gulp of air "I want to know what we- what we are?"

I almost laugh but retain composure. She's just too cute. "I'd like for us to be...girlfriends I guess"

It felt awkward to say out loud. The words hung heavy in the night between us until her hands come up to press mine harder against her face. "I'd um- I'd like that"

Wow we are so embarrassing and yet I couldn't feel any prouder.

"I'm so glad my sister finally found someone special but something really bad is happening back there" Steve interupts us gesturing back towards the mall.

"How do you know?" I scoff pulling away from Robin and looking where he was pointing...oh.

The vague figure of a giant spider like monster approaches in the distance. That's definitely bad.

"Shit we have to help them" Robin croaks. I'm surprised by her initiative given that she doesn't really owe anyone anything and this was a dangerous situation.

"Get in the car, y/n watch those two and make sure they don't kill eachother" Steve commands.

"What why do I have to stay?"

"Just! Please" he gives me desperate look I can't argue with.

"Fine but promise me you'll be safe" I roll my eyes "and don't get my girlfriend killed"

"Promise!" He ruffles my hair affectionately "love you brat"

"Yeah yeah love you too or whatever" I mutter with a half smirk.