2.03 | do as zombies do

SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE ALREADY KNOWS HOW TO TACKLE.

The following day, Carson arrived at school early

The following day, Carson arrived at school early. After staying up all night and helping Bucky with his campaign, she was now handing out flyers to people in the courtyard before classes started with Zed and Eliza.

"Zed for prez!" she said brightly while passing off flyers. Several people glanced at her shirt where she had a button for each of the candidates pinned, clearly supporting both of them, which was confusing.

"Vote Zed for prez, because I'm a zombie, not a zom-can't-be," Zed told some, trying the play on words.

"Nice," Eliza noted with a grin. Then she looked at her notebook. "Okay, here's our platform. We fight for zombie toppings on pizza in the cafeteria."

"Right," Zed agreed while nodding. Carson cringed, not loving zombie toppings herself. But it would make life better for them.

"Get Zombie tongue taught as a second language," she listed off.

"Bah gurze," Carson replied, saying 'Of course,' in Zombie.

"And how to overthrow your oppressors after-school club," Eliza added, earning a sharp look from Zed.

"Eliza."

"Sorry, right. Don't over-promise," she said, shaking her head.

Carson nudged her side and grinned. "One day," she said jokingly.

"But more importantly," Zed stressed, "we allow zombies at Prawn."

Then Addison joined them, the very reason he was doing this in the first place. "Good luck, Mr. Future President," she said, grinning brightly.

Bree was one step behind her and as chipper as always despite how early in the day it was. "Hey Zed, did you hear? Addy's being tested for captain, and she gets to run cheer practice tomorrow," she bragged.

"It's not a big deal," Addison said, trying to shrug it off. But then she grinned. "Okay, it's huge."

"A huge chance to fail!" Lacey called from across the courtyard. The Aceys were at a table and making buttons for Bucky.

"If Addy aces this practice, oh my gosh, she's so going to be cheer captain once Bucky wins. He's so gonna win because you know, elections, they're just like these big old popularity contests. And Bucky is super popular. So — what?" The girl finally cut her rambling off, realizing she'd not only insulted Zed, but Carson in a way too.

"Thanks, Bree," Zed said, feeling a little worse about himself now.

"I know it's weird I'll only be cheer captain if Bucky's president, but—"

Zed cut her off and shook his head. "No, that just means neither of us can lose, because one of us is going to get what we want. And I can live with that."