9 - pb & j

𝓞𝓵𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓽𝓽𝓮

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Wake up mama! Wake up Daddy!"

I groaned and turned into Ezra's chest at the sound of Archie clambering onto the bed.

A gentle kiss on the top of my hair made me look up at Ezra, a small smile adorning his face.

We looked back at Archie, who was now jumping up and down at the end of our bed, a wide grin on his face.

It's his first day of kindergarten today, and I actually think I'm more nervous than he is.

The sound of happy squeals snapped me out of my thoughts as I looked at Archie who was now clambering all of his father.

"Come on, let's get you dressed lil man." I laughed, pulling the child off of Ezra and placing him on his feet.

I followed Archie out of Ezra's room, hearing the shower start as I closed the door.

I got Archie dressed as well as helping him to make sure he had everything in his dinosaur backpack for the first day of school.

I grabbed his backpack and followed him down the stairs to the kitchen.

"What do you want for breakfast, hun?" I asked Archie, my back facing him.

"I can think of something I want." Ezra's voice whispered right next to my ear making me jump.

"You're so crude." I laughed.

"Only for you" Ezra gave me a cheeky grin, almost identical to Archie's.

I looked away from his face and noticed that he was now dressed in a suit. He had taken a few days off of work when his parents were here but we're now settling back into a routine.

I made Archie a bowl of cereal and set it in front of him before going back to empty the dishwasher.

Ezra stood across from me, a mug of coffee in his hand. He had made me a mug too, it was on the side cooling down.

So I can only drink coffee lukewarm? Sue me.

"Done, mama!" Archie called before downing the last of his juice.

I zipped up his packed lunch, a pb&j sandwich, carrot and cucumber sticks, a homemade muffin as well as an apple before putting it into his backpack. I took his plate from him and left Ezra to wash up while I went to get dressed.

When I came back down, I saw Ezra helping Archie to put his shoes on and getting his jacket ready.

"Ready to go, love?"

I nodded at Ezra's statement as I slipped my coat over my shoulders. I ruffled Archie's hair and kissed Ezra's cheek before following the excited little boy out to the car.

- - -

"Do you think there's gonna be painting?" was the 16th question that came out of Archie's mouth during the 10 minute drive to his school. Ezra had asked me about my opinion regarding Archie's school and, although I insisted it was not my decision, we both decided to send him to the one closest to their house. It wasn't a private school, and we were both comfortable with the atmosphere and how safe it was.

Once the car came to a stop, both Ezra and I got out of the car, letting Archie out at the same time. I grabbed his backpack from the boot of the car as Ezra tied his shoe laces.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes mama!" Archie was practically bouncing out of excitement.

Ezra took his hand and they walked ahead of me until Archie stopped, looked back at me and held out his tiny hand.

"mama hold hands as well?"

Why is he so cute

"Of course baby" I laughed, taking Archie's hand as all three of us walked towards the school gate.

"Again, again!" Archie squealed as Ezra and I swung him back and forth. He was so preoccupied with this hilarious fun that he didn't notice we were standing at the front gate.

"We don't have anymore time for that now, buddy. You've got to get to school, and your mama and I need to go to work."

At this comment, I think it properly hit Archie that we weren't going to school with him.

"Just me? On my own?" He looked up at us, eyes teary, holding his hands in front of him whilst shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

I knelt down in front of him, taking his little hands in my own. "Yeah, but both me and daddy will be here super soon to come and pick you up and take you home. It will go so quickly and you're going to have so much fun that you'll forget all about missing us." I smiled, trying hard to not cry myself.

"It's going to be totally fine, Archie, we'll be here in a few hours, and if you're good, I'm sure mama will bring back some treats from the bakery for this evening."

At the mention of treats, my son's face lit up. "Cookies?"

"Anything for you, Archie."

"Pinkie promise?" He stretched out both of his little fingers, one hand towards me and the other towards Ezra. We both linked our little fingers, kissing his little hands.

"Pinkie Promise." I laughed. "Now, are you ready for school?"

He answered with a little nod, first hugging his father and then hugging me.

"look after daddy for me while I'm gone?" He whispered in my ear.

"I'll look after him twice as much for the both of us" I winked, giving him a final squeeze before letting him go. He grabbed his backpack from Ezra and headed towards the front gate where his teacher was greeting all of the other kids.

Giving us one final wave, he ran into the playground, instantly meeting some other little boys his age.

A gentle arm around my waist caused the tears that were welling up in my eyes to finally fall. I sniffled, burying my face in Ezra's chest.

"I know he technically isn't my son, but It feels like he's all grown up now." I whispered.

"Hey," Ezra replied, bringing his finger under my chin to tilt my head up in order to make eye contact. "He is as much your son as he is mine. You are his mother, but you're so much better and perfect for the role because he chose you." He said, the last few words holding a sense of amusement which made me laugh.

"You're right, he's just getting so big now." I laughed through my tears.

"I know, it's scary to be honest, soon I'll be going grey." He mumbled.

I laughed again, and turned back towards the car once I noticed that all the kids had gone inside.

- - -

A/N

Easing back into writing after a break that was too long lol. Hope its okay x