74. Mako Masters

The day of the final exam arrived. Before that, I had spent most of the time studying for it. Like Cleo, I was nervous about failing the test. I was ready to finish school, knowing the long hours and massive amounts of homework assignments. Thankfully, when I started university, I was taking only the graphic design course and a little literature. 

The sound of my bedroom door opening woke me up. 

"Mornin' Zo," Fiona smiled as she entered in. Once seeing me, my stepmom had a concerned expression. "Were you up all night studying?"

I blinked, turned to my science textbook and notebook, and looked back at Fiona. "Yeah, by the looks of it."

"You sure you'll be okay for the exam?"

"I hope so. I'm just nervous about failing it."

"You'll do great. Though I'd take a nap before it if I were you."

"I'll try."

"I've got brekky made whenever you're ready."

I nodded at Fiona and pulled out a fresh set of clothes. My phone vibrated and beeped. I recognized it as the reminder notification letting me know it was full moon time. Later, the girls and I would find out what the water tentacle was trying to tell us. As we had figured out, the moon would rise around the time we would finish the exam. 

After getting dressed and freshening up for the day, I arrived in the kitchen to find a massive plate of pikelets and fried eggs on toast with avocados. Plus, there were a few mugs of coffee.

"Hey, Zo," Dad smiled at me. "Fi was telling me you were up all-night studying for the exam. Think you'll be awake enough when it's time?"

"I believe so."

During breakfast, I received a text from Cleo reminding me to study for the exam and ensure I would be present when our group got together to revise the answers.

"One of the girls?" Fiona wondered.

"Yep," I nodded. "Cleo's reminder to go over the stuff as a group for the exam."

"That reminds me of my final year of school. One mate of mine spent weeks preparing for the final exam, and she would remind me to go through it."

"Yep, like Cleo. I even had to send her a pic to prove I was studying."

"She nervous about the exam?" Dad wondered.

"Big time."

"All of you will pass it," Fiona assured me. "Tell Cleo she doesn't have to be nervous. She's already smart and would know all of the answers."

🌊 

Our group met at the boat shed and got on top of preparing for the exam. I noticed Rikki pace around the room which I figured she was taking a break.

"I wonder what's happening at Mako," she turned to the rest of us.

"Got to be weird, whatever it is," Will guessed.

"Some of us are trying to study here," Cleo called out.

"I mean, the history of this molecular blah-blah is so boring," Rikki pointed out. "But the history of Mako-- now that's an interesting--." She got excited at the mention of Mako Island.

"Rikki," Cleo snapped telling her to shut up.

"History of mermaids then?"

"I know what you mean," Bella nodded at her. "Where do mermaids come from?"