Chapter 16

Mason POV

“Do you know what I find funniest about what people have been talking about you?” Jax spoke as he wrote down another note.

“What?” I sighed, running my hand through Emma’s hair.

God, I missed her so fucking much. I can’t believe I have her back. I can’t believe I didn’t do shit sooner. I really am a complete idiot.

“That none of those who said that she was your ex-girlfriend figured out that you have the same last name.” Jax chuckled. “How stupid are they?”

Emma and Chris laughed. I rolled my eyes.

“I was thinking the same thing.” Hazel said, shaking her head and smiling.

“Well, to be fair, it was mostly girls who were saying that.” Emma said, underlining something in her book. “I guess they were to jealous to actually listen to me when I said my last name.”

“Bitches be crazy.” Jax mumbled, making the rest of my friends laugh.

I wasn’t in the mood to joke around. I wanted to call my dad and ask him why the fuck did he tell me that she didn’t want me. I wanted to call mom and ask her why the fuck she hadn’t brought Emma to see me.

I also wanted to punch the fucking wall repeatedly. I can’t believe that I trusted dad. How the hell could I have trusted him over Emma? I know her like the back of my hand. I should have known that something was off. I should have known that my dad was lying.

“Mason?” I heard my name being called.

I looked around and everyone was staring at me.

“Are you okay?” Emma asked me. “Chris has been calling you.”

“I’m fine.” I gave her a small smile. “I got lost in thought.”

She placed a hand on my back and rubbed small soothing circles. I focused on her touch, letting it calm me down, and looked at Chris.

“What’s up?” I asked him.

“We were saying that we could finish this up.” Chris said as he pointed at our books scattered across the table. “We’ve done enough for today.”

I glanced at my watch. It was 8 pm. Great. It wasn’t too late to call my dad. I couldn’t wait any longer.

“I agree.” I said as I looked back up. “There is something I need to do anyway.”

“What?” Chris asked, but I ignored him.

“Jax, could you spend some time with Chris?” I asked, looking at him. “I need the room for about an hour.”

Jax furrowed his eyebrows and gave me a questioning look. I sighed, making him roll his eyes. I knew he wanted to know why I needed the room, but I wasn’t going to tell him. He nodded and started picking up his stuff.

“Awesome.” I said as I threw my books and pens into my backpack. “You two escort Hazel back to her room, please. I will bring Emma when we are done.”

Emma gave me a confused look. I waited for her to take her stuff before I took her hand in mine and started pulling her out of the library.

“What are we doing?” Emma asked as soon as we left the library.

“Calling dad.” I said. “I can’t wait any longer.”

Emma didn’t respond, but I could feel her hand squeezing mine tighter. She was nervous. I wasn’t nervous. I was pissed off and ready to bite my dad’s head off. He was lucky I wasn’t home. He was lucky I wasn’t going to leave Emma just to go beat the shit out of him.