Thirty-Three

None of the servants knew much about the princess, and when asked about her at the markets or by passing merchants, they could only shrug and shake their heads. She was a mystery still, even now that she was permitted to leave the castle gates and roam.

Katerina liked to keep to herself- or at least that was what she was used to. She had never been allowed to interact with others and in Claridon as Thousandfurs, no one wished to speak to her. The smallest scrap of attention was typically punishment.

She spent a lot of her time near the garden and her mother's tomb, or with her fiancé. Of course, he was busy most of the time and she tried to leave him be to work in peace but today she could not get herself under control. No matter what she did, she found herself in desperate need of his attention. Just being in the same room as him, brought her comfort.

Katerina curled her hands in front of her corseted waist, her fingernails finely groomed and her skin slowly returning to the luscious soft glow it once had. She was returning to the princess of the past but the scars would forever remain.

"I have this wretched feeling in my stomach." She voiced, pacing across the study. It was not ladylike at all for her to pace but her anxious knees would bounce anytime she sat down, "I feel sick."

"Perhaps you should lie down," Alexander suggested, watching her with a scrunched brow, obviously not happy with the sight before him. He never wanted to see her in such a state.

"I cannot lie down!" Her face was pale and he could see thin lines of stress imprinted into her beautiful features.

"Darling..." he warned, "I have much to do and I cannot solve this issue if you do not speak to me."

"I- I had a dream." She mumbled, hiding her face behind her golden locks.

For the last nine weeks, Katerina was plagued with nightmares every night. The large chair in the corner of her room had become his bed so whenever he needed he was right there to wake her and comfort her. Last night he did not hear any cries or screams, so he assumed all was well.

He was wrong.

The anxiety that emanated off of her was more concerning than her echoing voice in the dark, reaching out for him. This was pure and real fear.

Rushing cautiously from his seat, he rounded the desk so he was a few feet away from her, "What was it?"

"It was about you." The words were thick in her throat.

"Did I do something?" He nudged, knowing she was hiding the painful parts so she did not have to feel their effects again but he needed to know.

She nodded.

"Did I hurt you?"

She shook her head and paused to think over her answer, questioning if her reaction was too hasty. Coming to a decision, she continued to shake her head no.

Alexander's hands raised from his side, just enough to indicate she could find comfort in him if she needed it, but she stayed rooted in place for the first time, "So, what was it?"

Katerina swallowed, "We had a daughter." Need she say anymore? Unfortunately, it was clear, he was not understanding her vague explanation, "We had a daughter with golden hair and blue eyes. She looked just like me."

Alexander could not help his smile, the thought of his bride giving him a child, the most beautiful possibility, "Of course, she would." Katerina was gorgeous, no one could deny that and he adored the thought of a mini-me running around, pestering her mother.

"No!" She covered her face with her hands, "No! Why would you say that?"

"Because I love you?" His statement sounded a lot more like a question, not sure how to calm her, "If I had it my way you would be with child right now. Do you not wish to have children?" It was an expectation for her to produce him with an heir and whether she liked it or not he very much desired to turn her into a mother. The thought nearly had him grabbing her and taking her to what was soon to be their shared chambers.