CHAPTER TWO

"The Heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of"

He flipped through the magazines as he waited for her arrival. The yellow lights, lit bright all over the  mansion of modern architecture greeted the silence elegantly. The only sound that could be heard, is the sound of the slow jazz playing in the living room where he was sitting. It was one of her childhood favourites, he recalled, which brought a slight smile to his face as he continued reading the magazine. A headline caught his attention. It was the news about Edward Adolphine announcing his successor soon.

His wait for her only increased as he read the further article. He wanted serious explanations and only she could give that, or at least he hoped she could. He heard the sound of the apartment door opening, as he saw her come in with a brown bag in one hand and a purse on the other. He stood up and walked towards her, hands inside his jeans pocket. She turned around and got startled by his sudden appearance.

"Jesus Asher, you scared me." she took her hand to her chest and heaved a sigh as she looked at him.

"What took you long," he questioned, making direct eye contact with her.

"I walked all the way here. How'd you get inside? I'm pretty sure I locked the door when I left." She stated as she bit her lips, starting to doubt herself a little if she had actually locked the door.

"You think I don't know your safety passcode to get in, Ana? Seriously?" he questioned with a playful smile on his face as he tilted his head at her. She rolled her eyes at him as she walked towards the Kitchen making him trail behind her.

"Did you see today's headlines?" he questioned, watching her get a glass of water to drink. She gulped it all at once and turned towards him.

"Are they finally revealing the release date of "The Idol"? God, I can't wait for it," she exclaimed as she closed her eyes in content. Asher rolled his eyes at her silly fanatic behaviour and shook his head.

"No Ana, your father's the headlines today. Apparently, he'll be announcing his successor soon, for both the business and the head of The Judicial Committee," he informed her hoping to get a  shocked reaction on her face. But to his disappointment she only shrugged at him.

"Are they seriously putting THAT as headlines?," she huffed out shaking her head and turned back around for another glass of water. He went towards her and grabbed her shoulders gently and turned her around.

"And you knew nothing about this?" He asked as he inched closer to her giving a serious stare at her. She adjusted her posture by shifting her weight to her right leg and lifted her chin to look directly at him and said,

"Believe it or not, I had no clue and I still have no clue who it is. But I can only hope it is the both of us,"

"And what if it isn't us?" he asked as he tilted his head a little, making his blonde fringe fall to the side and looked directly into her eyes sternly.

The way his eyes scanned hers for truth, made Ana nervous. Ana and Asher have been best friends for as long as they could remember. She has never hid anything from him and now hiding the little truth she knows is getting quite hard for her.

"Relax Asher, it has got to be us. If not, who else do you think is in line?" she said, faking confidence as she questioned him. He pondered in his thoughts for a moment and moved back.

"You're right, it's got to be us. I'm sorry," he apologised ruffling his blonde hair with one of his hands as he looked down in shame. Ana only smiled at him.

"It's fine, don't worry," she assured him, taking one of his palms in hers and squeezed it, a habit of hers. She turned around, picking up the things she once had in her hand and was ready to make her way to her room when Asher snatched the brown paper bag from her hand, peeking inside in curiosity.