14

"I'm sorry Alpha. We didn't know that vampires were there." Kael, Kai's brother, and the other scouts have been waiting when I arrived at our temporary house. Kai is still tailing the Prince, if he is not yet here.

It's my fault. I did not account for Duke's underlings. Laine is here and so is he. He was there when Riri was rescued, I should've thought about it.

"You didn't tell them why you're there?" I asked sitting on my chair.

"No. However, they seem to be on patrol as if they know something is about to happen."

Duke is a guardian, he probably knows at least about the Prince and being... close to Laine, he will protect her and everyone she cares about.

I sighed. I should have been more careful. Now I don't know what will happen.

"I understand. The rest of you may go. Kael stay here." I might need some countermeasures.

"Something change." Kael sat down as the others left. Picking up a newspaper. "The prince is never on our to do list before but now you are interested on him. So, you are not backing out on our objective, are you?" He raised his brow. Of the siblings, he is the more expressive one.

"No." To defeat the council and their followers, that is the main objective. "But we have somethings to consider."

"Our lost Luna?" He placed down the paper. "Did you finally change your mind? You know I will obey your orders no matter what it is but you also know what lies ahead."

"I know." But I cannot reject her and I don't even know if I can be forgiven. "So, I have a mission for you."

He smiled. "Let's hear it."

"You know about the group the council is secretly utilizing?."

"The south coven?"

"Yes." My father's confidence has something to do with them. The monster that he had become... I have a gut feeling that he consider them his power.

"We investigated them before. They are nothing but orphans and rogue mercenaries."

"Even so, find anything suspicious. No matter how trivial it looks. They may be something we did not see." If my father wants to rule, he needs an strong army. If they are more monsters we have to be ready. We are unable to stop them, since they are stronger, I can't deny it. Laine managed to kill them in the expense of her life, and I don't want to repeat that. Turning into monstrous creatures maybe one of the source of their power.

"You're not gonna give me any idea what to find, huh? Okay then." He stood up. "As you wish, Alpha." He started to head for the door. "I almost forgot, Kai told me that your father is looking for you. He wants you to prepare for a meeting. Be careful." He left.

The meeting with the council. I am supposed to be introduced as their next king. But of course, it is a ruse. They will still have control. That's why I chose to reject Laine. I was too afraid of what my father can do. He knows that if I reject her, she will die. However, this time I will not and he'll know about it. A future not seen by the seer but a future that I have a chance.

...

A cold wind rustles the leaves.

An old tree stood atop a mountain. Its leaves dances with the breezeThe cloudy sky is slowly parting. It will not rain anymore.The moon peeks from the night sky, lighting the evening.And there under the tree stood someone. Hair as dark as night, flowing with the gentle breeze. 

This person, I know... her.

My hand reaches for her. I want to... protect her.

"Save her." A voice echoed.

She looks over her shoulder, noticing me. There are tears streaming down her cheeks. I could've fully see her face but this feeling, this sadness is coming from her. My heart aches just seeing her.

"Save her." The voice whispered. I stepped closer about to reach her but... she disappeared in my grasp.Where.. where did she go? My eyes averted to under the tree as the moonlight seems to show me: a grave. This is... her grave. No. Am I still unable to help her? Did I not change anything?

"Save her." The voice repeated. Yes, I want to save her. I will save her. No matter what... No matter... My headaches, vision beginning to blur.

A stone, A seed, A tree. Something was taken away. I will save...

A strong wind blew. It suddenly turned dark. The clouds hid the moonlight.

'I will return her.' A familiar voice whispered. 'Stay.'

...I opened my eyes. Did I fall asleep? I turned to the window looking at the nightsky. It is dark. I couldn't see the moon. I have returned, I have a chance, but why does it feel that I am missing something?