𝔹oreas, King of the North Wind

"Then it is him?" Zethes asked excitedly.

"We'll see," the girl said. "Zethes, bring our guests." Leo grabbed the handle of his bronze dragon suitcase. Before he could take a step, she froze him with a look. Not literally froze, but she might as well have. "Not you, Leo Valdez," she said.

"Why not?" He sounded like a whiny kindergartner, but he couldn't help it.

"You cannot be in the presence of my father," the girl said. "Fire and ice—it would not be wise."

"We're going together," Jason insisted, putting his hand on Leo's shoulder, "or not at all."

The girl tilted her head like she wasn't used to people refusing her orders. "He will not be harmed, Jason Grace, unless you make trouble. Calais, keep Leo Valdez here. Guard him, but do not kill him."

Cal pouted. "Just a little?"

"No," the girl insisted. "And take care of his interesting suitcase, until Father passes judgment."

Jason and Piper looked at Leo, their expressions asking him a silent question. Nicki shrugged and smiled at Leo.

"I'll wait with Leo." Ethan and Nicki spoke at the same time. Sharing a look, the boy cracked a small but sincere smile.

"No." the ice girl spoke. "You must come, son of balance. And you, daughter of Hecate."

Nicki's head snapped around and she pointed her finger angrily. "Phoenix, I'll accept. Daughter of Hecate, that's just rude."

"It's fine, guys," Leo said. "No sense causing trouble if we don't have to. You go ahead."

Ethan patted his shoulder half-heartedly. The boy's eye shone in excitement at the thought of venturing farther into the ice palace.

"Listen to your friend," the pale girl said. "Leo Valdez will be perfectly safe. I wish I could say the same for you, son of Zeus. Now come, King Boreas is waiting."

As the four demigods climbed the icy staircase, Zethes stayed behind them, his blade drawn. The guy might've looked like a disco-era reject, but there was nothing funny about his sword. Jason figured one hit from that thing would probably turn him into a Popsicle.

Then there was the ice princess. Every once in a while she'd turn and smile at Jason, but there was no warmth in her expression.

She regarded Jason like he was an especially interesting science specimen—one she couldn't wait to dissect.

Nicki struggled up the icy stairs. She was barely equipped for normal weather, never mind a freezing slip and slide. Without thinking about it, Ethan took hold of Nicki's bad arm, helping her carefully up the stairs.

Nicki didn't even realise Ethan was holding her hand until she felt a steadying tug at her shoulder She raised her eyebrows, but she didn't let go. "Thanks," She muttered, avoiding his eyes.

At the top of the stairs, the ice princess looked back and noticed them holding each other. Her smile faded. Suddenly, Ethan's hand on Nicki turned ice-cold— burning cold.

He let go, and his fingers were smoking with frost. Nicki's seemed untouched.

Jason let out a yelp, clutching his blue, frosted fingers to his chest while Piper blew on her hand in vain. Nicki looked around in confusion at this.

"Warmth is not a good idea here," the princess advised, "especially when I am your best chance of staying alive"

"Huh?" The girl looked down at the others' hands, before staring at the princess. "I have no feeling in my arm. It's basically dead. Trust me, he's getting no delight from it." She retook Ethan's hand, looping it under her sling and glaring defiantly. "Unless you want a me-shaped stain on your floor, I suggest you mind your own business."