~Prologue~

Samarthya Gupta sat in his car. His grip hard on the steering wheel, his knuckles almost white. He felt bad and torn. A part of him was selfish- it wanted to confess to Akshara. Confess his feelings that he had bottled inside his heart since so many years, nearly all his life! He wanted to keep her close and heal all her pain but there was another part of him that just could not do it. He could not stand in the way of what Akshara wanted. He knew she wanted to be away from everything and start afresh and he knew he couldn't deny her that.

He sighed before leaning back in his seat. His eyes fell on the guitar in the back seat. He smiled sadly and picked it up. His fingers traced the initials on it. 'AK'

Samarthya: Music is really important to her. Her guitar must be important too!! I should give this to her.

He did not know if this was just his concern for his friend or his heart's excuse to run towards her and see her one last time but he ran. He ran with Akshara's guitar over the bridge and on the platform like a crazy man. He reached the platform just as the train appeared out of sight.

Samarthya: Shit! ....I don't even have her number, she doesn't have a phone...ugh!! This is actually unsafe...I shouldn't have agreed to her plans...

Regret spread through his heart. Akshara had been emotional, she wanted to escape the emotions she was feelings. He should have be been the rational one.

Samarthya: I shouldn't have supported the idea. Bina phone ke, bina kissi plan ke kaise rahegi?! I don't even know if she has enough money. I-

He froze mid rant as he eyes fell on a very familiar head.

Samarthya: Is it? No, it cannot be...

He approached her and saw Akshara sitting on the railway seat, staring into space.

Akshara: Hi

She said, still looking ahead.

Samarthya: Hi

He replied.

Samarthya: You forgot your guitar

Akshara: You forgot your wallet

She held out his wallet but did not leave it when he reached for it.

Akshara: I saw.

Samarthya looked into her eyes as she finally turned towards him. He could see so many questions in her eyes. He understood what she saw. He nodded and slowly sat down on the seat too.

Samarthya: It is my favourite picture of us.

Akshara: why?

He knew very well that Akshara did not want to know why that picture was his favourite. Rather, she wanted to know something more. Why did he have that picture?

But why did he have that picture of them in his wallet? Why did he tell her someone has his heart looking at that very same picture in his wallet? Why did he save that picture, even after all these years? Why?

These answers, even he did not know.

Because I was a child unsure of my own feelings. He wanted to say. Because when I finally gathered the courage to come express, you were already in love with someone else. He wanted to scream. Because you want to move away from your past and I don't want to hold you back. And so, he watched her get up, pick her guitar and leave.

.........

Samarthya sat lost in the seat where Akshara was sitting not long ago. All the questions swarming his mind. He had wanted to confess, that was his intend by coming back to Udaipur but he could never burden her with his feelings when she was in love with someone else. A part of him, the selfish part was glad that whoever Akshara loved- it didn't work out. He wanted to be patient and stay next to her through her pain. If she decided to move on, he'd let her chose if she wanted that to be him.

When all the truth about her and Abhimanyu come to light, he couldn't help but feel sorrow for both. They loved each other and there was no denying that it was a soul to soul call. Yet, Akshara wanted to leave that behind. However, he had witnessed how deep their connection ran and realized it must be difficult for her to let that go. So, he wanted to support her and not blast another love angle on her. He did not want to be her only option, selected in sadness. He wanted to be a choice she made.

Still, was not confessing a right decision? Where will she go now? Now that this had come to light, would she contact him when she lands somewhere safe? What if she does not land somewhere safe?

He rubbed his face in frustration when his phone rang and he quickly picked it up. It was Neelam, his grandmother.

Neelam: Sam! Beta jldi ghar aaja!! Dekh tere dadu respond nahi kr rahe!!

Samarthya: Dadi aap panic mt kro, aa raha hoon mai...

He rushed home at once.

................

Akshara had stepped out of the train station and was about to cross the road. She was in trance. A million thoughts in her mind. Her mind was trying to cope up with all that with the numbness that ran through her body. She had just ended all ties with her family, let go of the first man she ever loved and now was bombarded with the news that she was her bff's first love. Her guitar bag was on her shoulder while she dragged her other bag but her feelings weighed her down the most.

'Haan ji madam? Chalna hai?'

Akshara looked up and saw a bus conductor asking people if they wanted to leave.

She wanted to leave. Desperately!

So, she sat on the bus. Not knowing where it was going to take her. She paid for the ticket and realized her stupid self had bought Samarthya's wallet with her. She ran the pad of her thumb over the picture of two kids smiling at the camera. She looked outside and saw Udaipur leaving behind. Trees ran past her as she rested her head against the glass window and watched the light fade outside. Her own eyes closed after sometime as she succumbed to darkness.

.................

Samarthya sat next to his grandmother and offered her a cup of tea. She took it with shivering hands. He hugged her from the side.

Samarthya: He is fine!

Neelam: (sobs) No, he is not.

Samarthya: (sighs) Then he has to be. He will be...Trust me!

Neelam nodded without saying a word and sipped the tea, silently sobbing for her husband. Samarthya had lost his parents at a very young age, his grandparents were his all. He closed his eyes and said a prayer in mind- hoping God won't be cruel to him again.

Samarthya: Aap ghar jao...mai hoon yahan..

Neelam wanted to protest but Samarthya argued that she'd be no help if she falls sick too. She needed to be strong to support. Thus, Samarthya convinced her to go home and rest. He sat on the hospital floor, his head laid against the wall as he passed the night- sleepless and worried for everyone he loved.

.............

Thoughts so far?

xoxo