Chapter 2: Akshara

The day Akshara left Udaipur, she had been numb. With a picture of her and Samarthya in her hands, her family's betrayal in mind and painful feelings regarding Abhimanyu in her heart- she had left in the bus, sitting lost for a long time. She had closed her eyes when the light was dying in the sky and opened them again when there was light outside. Yet, her mind seemed tired, far from rested.

'Madam ji ye last stop hai!'

She heard the conductor say and nodded. She got up and collected her belongings. She could hear the ladies whisper, some wondering what was wrong with her, some pitying her.

'Sadme me lagti hai bechari!'

'Kya pta! Ghar se bhaagi hui bhi ho skti hai!'

'Lagta nahi! shyd iske parivar me kuch hua ho...'

Parivar? Akshara's conscious laughed. If only they knew she had no parivar! Her home died with her father and now it was just a house. A house where she suffered, hoping for love for years. Now, that hope was dead and so was her namesake family for her. The only people she held anything in her heart for were her brothers. She knew she'd contact them one day. But first, she needed time to heal.

She sighed and put Samarthya's wallet in her sling bag. Putting that bag across her body, her guitar bag on one shoulder and dragging the other bag, she headed out of the bus station. Her eyes fell on the board of the city.

PUNE!

Life is strange. It does move in circles! Akshara thought as she realised she was in a familiar city. This very city had been her escape many years ago when she had to leave her childhood home on Arohi's whim. Now, she was back in the same city.

Akshara: Ek tarah se accha bhi hai. Poori tarah se anjaan sheher bhi nahi hai....

Akshara hailed a cab and instructed the driver to take her to an address she knew by heart.

................

The cab stopped in front of a cozy cafe. Akshara stepped down and paid the driver off. She took her belongings and opened the cafe's door. For the first time in a long time, Akshara smiled as the smell of coffee invaded her nose. An old lady was behind the counter and stood up hearing the sound of someone coming in.

Old Lady: Abhi open nahi hai...itni subah subah kon- Akshu!....Aye Robert!! Dekho kon aya hai...

The old lady ran towards as fast as her tired limbs would take her and hugged her tightly. Akshara closed her eyes as relief set in her body. It was just as warm as she remembered.

Akshara: Meera Aunty...

Meera: Akshu?! ( cups her face) kaisi hai baccha!? Udaipur jaakr toh bhool gayi na aunty ko. Bohot miss kiya tujhe humne.

Her husband came hurrying and greeted Akshara. Meera and Robert were somewhere around her grandparent's age. Their families had disowned them when they married for love and they never had children. Now, they had retired from their jobs and owned a cute cafe in Pune. Akshara often visited this place for its dreamy cupcakes and excellent coffee over the three years she stayed at Pune. Eventually, she became close to the owners as she'd volunteer to help whenever required.

Meera: Accha idhr aa, baith. Mai abhi teri favourite coffee or cupcake laati hoon.... itni subah aayi hai, pakka raat ko nikli hogi...bhookh bhi lagi hogi na...

Akshara sat thinking how two absolute strangers gave her so much warmth when her own family was cold towards her. Shaking her head, she resolved to move forward without thinking about the people who never thought about her. When Meera came with the things and fed her with love, Akshara broke down in her arms. Her pain that was held inside her, leaped out the moment it felt a gentle hand on her head.