8: 'Luke's boxing match...'

The guilt of hiding my secret for the past few days has been harbouring on my chest. I just wanted the time to be able to process this on my own without having to discuss my options with others. But I couldn't help but feel incredibly selfish for doing so.

And tonight, I was going to have to face all the people who I treasure the most in the world and act as if everything is fine. 

When right now nothing feels fine at all.

But right now, my feelings don't matter, tonight is all about Luke. He has worked extremely hard for months to get to this point. And I refuse to let anything spoil it.

During the entire time we've been getting ready, all I've wanted to do is tell her, confide in her. Because I just know that when I do, I'll feel immediately better. I never thought I would have the opportunity to have a friend like her. 

Everyone always says that soulmates come in a romantic form, but I think that they might be wrong about that. Because there is no-one who I would rather share my life with than my best friend.

I like to think that my mom would be really happy that the universe let us meet.

I snap out of my thoughts when I feel her nudge my side, I turn to her with a bright smile, as I scan the overly crowded venue. 

'You're awfully quiet this evening.'

I wince, 'J-Just worried about Luke.'

She gives me a look, 'I thought you told me that I had nothing to worry about.'

'You don't! I-It's just he's my older brother, I can't help but feel scared.'

Sammy wrinkles his nose as makes his way over to us holding two beers in his hands, 'I don't even want to tell you how much, I've spent on these.'

My eyes widen as he passes one over to me and Autmn, 'I-I'm good thanks, I don't really feel like drinking.'

'Are you feeling okay?'

'Y-Yeah, why?'

'Because since when does Scarlett Summers turn down a free drink.'

'M-My stomach still isn't right from being sick the other day and I don't want anything to trigger.'

With every lie I tell, I can feel the resentment towards myself growing.

'Where's Toby?' Autumn asks as she takes a large swing of her beer.

Sammy shrugs, 'I don't know, he's been in the bathroom for a really long time.'

The copper-haired girl besides me snorts, 'He's probably just taking a shit.'

'That boy does literally shit anywhere.'

I still haven't told anyone about the encounter I had with Toby the other night, mostly because I didn't want anyone passing judgement or giving him a hard time. I just want him to be okay but right now, I really don't think that he is. There is this annoying gnawing at my stomach that something isn't right, and I don't think it'll go away until I talk to him properly, when he's sober.

'Hey Scar?'

'Hmm.'

'You'll never guess who I saw in the line for the bar?'

I straighten my posture slightly, 'Who?'

'Rocky.'

'O-Oh he's here? Who was he with?'

I don't know why I'm acting so surprised when he literally told me a few days ago that he would be attending.

He shrugs, 'I think just a couple of his friends.'