2. What To Do

Originally posted: Dec 1, 2022 Edited: Apr 30, 2023 + Aug 5, 2023. 

Nana woke with a start the next day. She had to use the toilet and she needed to now. After jumping up dramatically, Nana was hit by a strong sense of dissonance. The uncomfortable and bizarre feeling was enough to jolt her out of her sleepy haze and make her look around.

The light filtered into the bedroom through the cracks in the window curtain. Despite it being the earlier part of dawn and having little light to work with, Nana could make out the room, which was larger than her own, with near perfect detail. The floor was made out of smooth stone and the furniture pieces were made of wood. The walls were made of uneven stone bricks of every shade of grey. She wasn't certain about the roof, but Nana guessed thatch.

Nana felt goosebumps on her skin realizing that yesterday had not been a trick of her mind. She was still stuck in a novel. Nana ran outside after throwing the wooden door open and gasped at the unfamiliar scenery. She blinked, feeling a little woozy. The trees in the area were thinned to make way for the homes, but the terrain was mostly untouched. It was very natural and quiet, unlike the concrete jungle Nana lived in.

The air was fresh and the foliage was lush. Nana couldn't appreciate it anymore since Kaito ran up to her. Nana recalled her mission and asked where the toilet was. "Toilet?"

Nana tried to ask, but changed her words when the man failed to understand. "I need to go potty." Nana would remind herself later that there was no shame in saying such words while she was in the body of a child.

"Ah," Kaito exclaimed in understanding. "The waste hole. We have a waste pot in the den if you would rather use that," he said delicately. He had half a mind to drag the incompetent healer back right now, but he couldn't leave Nana alone. She was definitely not alright.

"Either," Nana whispered. Had she had all of her brain matter working properly, she could have recalled the terms used in the story. Unfortunately, she did not have much to work with right now.

Kaito diligently tended to her needs and Nana successfully used the waste pot. The main character described them in such a way the Nana was scared to use it. It wasn't as bad as Elizabeth made it seem.

The waste pot was a glorified tiny toilet quite like what toddlers potty train with. It was a two piece unit of stone that was about two feet tall. The inside was padded with leaves and old hay to avoid splashing. The lid was used to reduce the stink. It could definitely use a more thorough cleaning, but Nana wasn't getting into that now.

Once Nana concluded her business, she sat down on 'her' bed of expensive furs. Kaito left to get the healer and could not be dissuaded. Nana used the time alone to think. It wasn't like she could do a lot else. Kaito made her swear to stay put. Exploring could happen later. Right now, she needed to figure out what was going on.

Yes, Nana knew she was probably stuck in a web novel, as crazy as that sounded. Because it was so crazy, Nana couldn't really believe it. Acknowledge it maybe, but believe it? No.

"Okay, Nana. You can handle this. You haven't gone insane. What do you remember?" Nana asked, not realizing that talking to herself like that made her mental state highly questionable.

Nana went over what she knew of her immediate predicament. She was in the body of a child whose age was eight. She knew this thanks to the memories that invaded her mind yesterday.

This wasn't any child either, but the antagonist of the first arc of the web novel she was reading.

...An incomplete novel. That last bit did not help her mindset so she pushed along.