42. Surprise Confession

The next day, Nana told Bantu of her decision. She almost backed out like a wuss. And it seemed she had become somewhat wishy-washy lately. It wasn't like she was always brimming with confidence before, but she used to feel more sure of herself. Before things spiraled out of control anyway. Nana had to remind herself that this was a new start. There was no reason to hold herself back or force something she wasn't sure of.

Here, Nana did not have to worry about posturing or politics. She only had to be her. Nana pulled on her courage and rejected Bantu. A part of her still thought she was giving him up awfully soon, but another part told her that it wasn't fair to get the male's hopes up and waste his time.

Bantu did not take the rejection with grace. He did not throw a tantrum, nor was he rude, but he wasn't willing to walk away just like that. "For what reason?" He had to ask and know. Only then would he be satisfied.

Nana looked him dead in the eye and did her best to be frank without tripping over her words. "You seem like a good and reliable male..." Nana would like to hit herself now. "But I do not feel attraction to you." Nana managed to squeeze the last part out and felt relieved.

Bantu was a male who was pretty confident in both his skills and looks, so the rejection did sting. He did not show that it affected him though; he had too much pride for that. He turned around and left without stopping once.

And Nana was down to no current suitors. She was feeling pretty optimistic about Paulo and Mundo though. Nana would also not immediately reject any males who approached her in case a fitting male was among them. She would have to let her mates know to back off a little and bring down the intimidation factor. That being said, she wasn't going to go searching for males.

Instead of going out of her way to find more, Nana turned her attentions elsewhere. It was time for her to get crafting again. Helping her mates turn her home into a place she wanted to live in was a nice goal that felt meaningful.

Nana originally wanted to move off to a city, but now, she wasn't sure. Village life didn't sound so bad. Instead of making some detailed plan that was going to fall through, she was going to play it by ear and make the most out of living where they were.

Paulo and Mundo brought Awa over to say goodbye. Her boys did not seem to understand what a goodbye was and what it meant. She hoped they didn't take it hard.

Awa was pretty civil towards Nana. Aside from vowing to win against her next time, the young female did not antagonize her. Paulo and Mundo cast some apologetic looks her way before taking Awa and leaving. Nana wished them a safe journey silently.

After a few of days of laboring, Nana was really happy with the progress. Her males worked on the den expansion and furniture additions while Nana worked on the little projects. Things like cutlery, kitchenware, mats, decorations, clothes, and miscellaneous care items were under Nana's jurisdiction now.

While she was crafting, Elizabeth made an appearance with her cubs. Nana hadn't been surprised at Elizabeth's absence and even felt that it was a little too soon for her to be out and about.

When Nana saw the defenseless babies, her protective instincts came out in force. They were so tiny and weak looking. They didn't stay long and Nana was actually sad. Even after Elizabeth disappeared in the tree line with Kaito, her eyes never left the basket of babies.

"If you want cubs that badly, we can try harder next time." Troy spoke, startling her.

Nana knew he was around, but her focus was a little too intense. She did not reply to his comment.

Troy did not mind the silence and went on. "You were stressed last time. Your chances will be better in the future," he assured.

He sounded like she was actually consoling her. "I'm fine. I still have my adorable babies." Babies that she hadn't played with enough lately.