Chapter Five

The hall was silent and the atmosphere were frozen.

The servants did not dare to breathe loudly.

Jiang Mingyao's pupils flashed with worry and could not help to tug Jiang Ningbao's sleeve. Jiang Ningbao smiled at her softly and her eyes were unwavering.

Jiang Mingyao was stunned.

Fourth sister's reaction was weird.

A moment later, Old Madame Jiang sipped her tea and revealed a stiff smile. She tried to confirm with a dry voice, "Butler Zhao, did you misspoke? How can sir heir want to withdraw the engagement with the fourth girl?"

Butler Zhao sighed, "This is sir heir's decision."

Old Madame Jiang no longer held any hope in her heart and her face was filled with fury. She threw the pastel flower and bird tea cup with strength to the floor.

"Butler Zhao! Canceling the engagement affects the reputation of the ladies in the Count Residence, please forgive this old madame for not agreeing! No matter how high the status of Anyuan Marquis Residence's oldest legal daughter, she must be forced to be below my granddaughter!"

"This engagement cannot be canceled."

Old Madame Jiang's words were resolute and she sharply stared at Butler Zhao, emphasizing her words one by one.

"Mother is right. This engagement cannot be canceled. My niece is always scrupulously abide by the rules of etiquette, knowing her place and never overstep her boundaries. The status of Anyuan Marquis legal daughter is indeed higher than my niece, but the one who lost purity with everybody watching is her! Why does my niece has to cancel her engagement and ruin her reputation for that miss?!"

"Are you bullying my niece because she no longer has parents?"

"Sir Heir is too much!"

"How this engagement came to be, Butler Zhao knows it. Now Sir Heir wants to revoke the engagement, truly ungrateful!"

First madam, Madam Zhang, was outraged and her momentum was aggressive.

The engagement of her niece meant that they could grab onto Duke Ding Residence's belt. If the engagement was no more, the position of Changning Count Residence would fall drastically.

She, the count residence's madam, won't be as glorious as before.

The situation of her older daughter's position in her husband's house falling drastically was something Madam Zhang would not allow.

Jiang Ningbao looked at this scene calmly and a complicated gaze flashed through her eyes. The people in Changning Count Residence were not evil, but once it was related to their own interest......

The first madam, Madam Zhang, turned to Jiang Ningbao and pulled her smoothly. She patted her softly and placated, "Fourth girl, don't worry. Oldest aunt won't let you be bullied in vain."

"I trust grandmother and oldest aunt."

Jiang Ningbao gave her a smiled filled with trust and her brows were full of soft helplessness that evoke pity, as if a pure and gentle lotus flower, taking people's breath away.

Butler Zhao had taken notice of the two young ladies in the hall. Out of politeness, he did not take a good look at them.

Now he knew that the Jiang fourth miss whom sir heir wanted to cancel the engagement with was among them.

Glancing at her, he was stunned by the beauty of Jiang Ningbao.

Butler Zhao felt awkward in his heart and unbearable pity.

Who knew that sir heir's fiancee, Jiang fourth miss, would had such exquisite beauty, one that made people want to protect her.

In reality, sir heir's act of canceling their engagement was something that Butler Zhao did not approve. Jiang fourth miss was already sixteen years old and was about to get married to Duke Ding Residence.

Who knew that this kind of thing would occur?

Sir heir rescued Anyuan Marquis' oldest legal daughter during Princess Rui's banquet and ruined that miss' purity and also persist on canceling this engagement to marry Anyuan Marquis' oldest legal daughter.

The old madam did not agree. She said if Anyuan Marquis agree, Anyuan Marquis' oldest legal daughter could be married in as equal wife, but sir heir knelt in old madam's courtyard for a day, making old madam had to agree.

Butler Zhao's heart was not comfortable. In his heart, the old madam and the duke were the real masters of the residence, not sir heir who was adopted from the other legitimate branch.

Not to mention the title of heir was not permanent. The duke had not made the document that stated who the heir was so sir heir's successor position was only in name.

But thinking to the duke's condition, if there was no accident, then sir heir would be the next duke.

Butler Zhao sighed in his heart.

"The one who wants to cancel this engagement is sir heir. The duke does not know about this. Our old madam cannot force the heir, hence this Zhao is here to revoke it."

Butler Zhao was not willing to let the old madam and the duke bear this blame, so he explained the situation.