The First Cut Is The Deepest

She walked up the streets of Haddonfield to her job. She would love to say she liked it, but in reality it was only a brief distraction from the misery awaiting her at home. She taught music, something she used to love in her old life. Now she couldn't even listen to it. It was such a sad reminder of her past, which she felt she had taken for granted. Though, every now and then she'd remember a little tune that made her smile return briefly. She needed that today. She knew he would find a way to take the joy she should have been allowed to have over finding out she was pregnant. She knew that fight was coming. But for now, she hummed to herself. He wasn't around, she was allowed to feel some happiness.

"I wish I had you all alone, just the two of us," she sang to herself as she walked.

The house to her right caught her gaze momentarily, like it always did. It was old and abandoned, she knew no one lived there however, she always sensed there was life in it. The way it loomed over the city, silently watching as the years went on, never changing. There was something about it. And there was something about him. Well, she assumed it was a him, the presence she always felt. She never confronted it, but she was very aware. She knew he had something to do with that house.

She stared through the dirty windows, only able to make out shadows. Her curiosity was close to getting the better of her, when a car horn tore her attention away. It was her husband.

"Get in," he said, that cold look in his eyes.

"I don't mind walking, honey," she said, trying her best to fake a smile.

"Get. In." He repeated sternly.

She reluctantly got into the car with him, giving one last glance to the old Myers' house. She could have sworn she saw someone-

"What is this?" He demanded, holding the pregnancy test.

(Y/n) tensed, struggling to find an explanation, but she had none. She silently looked down at the little lines, trying to hold on to the happy thoughts she had while she was walking.

"We can't have a baby, you know that," he said, running his hand through his dark hair, frustratedly.

She knew she should hold her tongue, but she couldn't help herself, "Well maybe we wouldn't have if you had worn a condom sometimes like I asked," she said under her breath.

He looked at her with wide eyes, "What?"

"Don't worry about it," she said as she reached for the door, "I'll walk."

He reached over and grabbed her hand. She squeezed her eyes shut as he took his other hand and forced her to look at him.

"Look at me," he said through gritted teeth and venom in his tone.

(Y/n) hesitantly opened her eyes. She could feel tears building up as she looked at his face. She once found him so handsome and so sweet. Now his gaze made her stomach churn. His green eyes looked black.

"You wanna have a baby, you figure it out. Don't expect a damn thing from me," he spat.

"What does that m-"

"Get out." He said flatly, quickly releasing her from his grip.

She stifled her tears as she shakily got out of the car. She looked to him for any sympathy, but she got none. He turned his music up and sped off. She quickly wiped away her tears, embarrassed as other cars began to drive by. She felt that gaze burning into her back again, but when she turned to the old house she still saw nothing. She let her head fall and continued her trek to work.

The day passed quicker than she had hoped. She didn't want to go home, she knew she'd be alone for the night, stuck in their tiny room they rented. He rarely came home these days, especially at night. She knew why, though she didn't like to admit it.

She hesitantly said goodbye to her coworkers, wishing she could stay a bit longer. As she opened the door the brisk night air stung her cheeks. She pulled her hood over her head and began to walk. She moved quickly at first but soon slowed her pace when she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. Her hand instinctively went to the area, knowing it wasn't something she should be feeling. She furrowed her brow in concern, but knew there was nothing she could do other than to keep walking. Thankfully it subsided after a few blocks, but the feeling was replaced again by the fear of going to that empty room. That or that he would be there, waiting to continue their argument from earlier. She felt a heavy feeling in her chest. She had nowhere else to go and this nightmare was only going to get worse now that there was the possibility of a baby. Thoughts of the life she was so excited to live swirled in her mind mingled with her dim reality. A baby couldn't live this life, no matter how hard she tried to make it better. But there was no way out.

She turned the corner, but after a few steps halted. The Myers' house stood silent as ever next to her. Her eyes could have burned a hole through the door with the intensity of her gaze. She stood like that for a long time, for the first time in what seemed like forever no thoughts or worries tormented her. That feeling of comfort was pulling her closer and before she knew it she was making her way up to the door. She felt the cold handle turn in her hand, at this point she wasn't in control. Something was willing her in, she didn't know what but she listened. The door slowly creaked open, revealing a house in shambles. There was only moonlight falling on the old wooden floors. She slowly moved into its cold embrace, her eyes wandering over the high ceiling and staircase leading to the second floor. She began to think maybe all these years she had imagined that presence that she was so sure lurked in this place. That he was a figment of her imagination, created to ease her growing loneliness. That was until she heard a soft creak from the wooden floors that she couldn't possibly have made. She waited for a normal response from her body, maybe one that would tell her to run, but she wasn't afraid. She slowly turned towards the sound.

Her eyes fell upon a shape she knew she had seen so many times before. It was all too familiar. The shadows almost covered him completely, she wouldn't have been able to see him if not for the pale white of his mask. She could hear his breathing from where she stood as he watched her. Her eyes caught the glint of the knife in his hand and what should have been fear felt like relief. Maybe that's why she was here, maybe he could set her free. He was death.

"You."