CHAPTER 18: TAKE THE FLAG

Y/N: A game?!

Millie: Exactly!

Y/N lets out a whoop of excitement, jumping around Millie while wagging her tail.  Forming small clouds of dust on the ground when she stomps on it.

Millie rolls her eyes and smiles when the little hellhound's excitement reminds her of her childhood when she was trained by her father.

After her talk with Blitzø, the Imp came up with the idea of ​​making the training a game so the kid would be interested in it.  And what better place than the obstacle course?

Millie leads Y/N to a dirt track full of obstacles and stops standing in front of her. The little hellhound still excited looks at her today's mentor, ignoring what she has in front of her.

Y/N: What are we going to play?

Millie: YOU are playin' a game called...

The Imp pulls out a red flag behind her.

Millie: "Take the flag"

Y/N's eyes light up when they see the flag, as if it were candy.

Y/N: Ooo!!

Millie: All you have to do... is take this lil' flag.

Y/N: Okie!

Excited, the young hellhound tries to take the flag from her mentor's hands, but Millie stops her by putting her hand on the little girl's head, making almost no effort to keep Y/N from reaching it even by stretching out her arms and using all her strength.

Millie: Woah! Hold your horses, hun. The challenge is not that simple.

The girl's null efforts are stopped upon hearing the Imp in charge. Millie finally lets go of Y/N to hold the flag with both hands.

Millie: You'll have to grab this thingy from...

Then, like a bolt of lightning, Millie runs off, leaving clouds of dust in her wake, making Y/N cough, and heads for the obstacles.

Her footsteps are quick and agile on the tire obstacle, finishing the course in mere seconds, and she doesn't take a second's rest to jump three obstacles, even though they're clearly small for her. 

Y/N's jaw drops at the sight of her mentor pirouetting like a ballerina with every jump she makes and landing on the wooden stumps without losing her balance. 

Millie, observing out of the corner of her eye the little hellhound admiring her, jumps from stump to stump waving the red flag elegantly. 

Seeing that her next obstacle is crawling under a net, she runs at full speed towards it and throws the flag to the end of it, she simply skids and ducks, sliding on the ground and leaning her body so as not to touch any net so fast that the flag still doesn't hit the ground, upon reaching the end of the obstacle, she jumps into the air, catches the flag and does a flip to land on the ground and keeps running. 

The next obstacle is a ramp she must go up and down, but Millie jumps over it completely and keeps going until she reaches the monkey bars, where she holds the flag with one hand, and with her remaining hand, her legs and tail, goes from one bar to another. 

She then wraps her tail around the flag and climbs the last obstacle, a climbing net, which goes up and down smoothly, and upon stepping on the ground one last time, she stabs the ground with the flag and turns to her apprentice without having spilled a drop of sweat .

Millie: Here!!

The little hellhound rubs her eyes to make sure she isn't dreaming. She wags her tail with excitement, thinking that all these obstacles are a piece of cake, as her mentor makes her see.

Y/N: WOW!!

Millie: Your opponent will be time.

The mentor sets up a timer on her cell phone.

Millie: I think... three minutes is fine. Are you ready?

Y/N: YEAH!

Millie: Do exactly what I did.

Although the trainee is confident in herself, she lowers her ears and makes a blank face at not remembering what to do with half of the obstacles.

Y/N: ..Everything?

Millie: If you do fine, I'll buy you an ice cream..

Y/N: REALLY?!

Millie: ONE-TWO-THREE GO!!!

The Imp mentor starts the timer, and Y/N gets her act together and runs as fast as she can motivated to receive that prize.

The young hellhound sees the tires and stomps on the center of each one, at a not-so-fast speed, however, she's too busy laughing at the fun to worry about hurrying up.

Finishing the tire obstacle, the trainee approaches as she sees the first jumping obstacle in front of her.  Remembering what she must do, the kid ducks, wags her tail as she gets ready, and jumps, but ends up hitting her stomach with the obstacle fence and falling to the ground.

Millie can see in the distance that Y/N stares confused at the obstacle while rubbing her belly from the blow. So she decides to share a bit of the wisdom she learned from experience.

Millie: Pick up the pace before you jump!  And push yourself with your legs, not your knees!

As her apprentice nods and steps back to take her advice.  The mentor speaks to herself.

Millie: Those humongous hellhound paws are naturally strong.  That's what they're for.

Once Y/N backs up far enough, she sprints, as fast as she can without tripping, and to jump she takes impulse on both legs as Millie told her to. 

She jumps high enough to pass the fence but still one of her feet gets caught on the obstacle, causing her to fall face down.

However, the little hellhound gets up glad that she still passed the obstacle and runs towards the next one.

Millie smiles fakely, a little embarrassed by her landing, but admires the little girl's determination to go through with the training.

Y/N runs, she pushes off, jumps, and still ends up catching her paw on the obstacle, knocking it to the ground along with her.

Still she gets up again and goes to the next one, she runs, pushes off and jumps, and this time she makes sure to get her legs up in the air so they don't hit the fence, and it works.  The apprentice falls to the ground on her side but jumps up excited.

Y/N: Millie!  You saw me?  You saw me?  I did it!!

Millie: YAY! Way to go darlin'!!

The mentor Imp applauds excitedly. But when she sees the counter, she sees that 2 minutes have already passed and seeing the rest of the obstacles Y/N has ahead of her, she knows she won't be able to meet the challenge, but even so, she remains silent and lets her apprentice continue until she's done..

Y/N's having fun and this way she'll improve in her training.  Also, they're not THAT MANY obstacles, she won't take long.. Right?