19.

Jose uncle freaked when he had seen Romir the next day.

"What happened to you?!"

"When did this happen?"

"Are you in pain?"

"What did the doctor say?"

Romir answered all the questions robotically, trying to seem as nonchalant as he could.

"This is why," Jose uncle began, shaking his head, "I tell you to slow down on the road."

Romir didn't bother answering that, popping a cut up piece of watermelon into his mouth after swallowing his pill. "I'm going to shower," he told his uncle, patting him on his head.

"Don't act like nothing happened!"

I went to Jose uncle and squeezed his hand. "He'll be fine," I reassured. "We're lucky it wasn't a major accident."

As much as I disliked the guy, I didn't want him dead.

"I'm glad you were there to help him," he responded, patting my hand a couple of times. "I know you don't get along but I hope you can help him a little bit, until he gets better."

"Jose uncle—"

"It's asking a lot of you but, unfortunately," he gestured to himself, "I'm helpless. Romir is the one that helps me with baths. I wish I could do the same for him but I can't."

Feeling guilty, because not only was Jose uncle's words true but the last thing I had said to Romir was something rude. Maybe the least I could do was help him out like Jose uncle said.

I had no feelings for him and he had no feelings for me so helping out would be fine. Heck, nurses did this shit all the time.

I headed to our room. I opened it knowing he would be in the bathroom and that I was safe of being scarred. I hesitated and then knocked on the bathroom door.

"Did you cover the bandage?" I asked when I got no response. The only sound I heard was a few grunts and the ruffling of clothes.

He was probably having trouble taking it off with the sling and all. I sure as heck didn't want to help. I was about to leave the room when Jose uncle's words echoed within my head at the perfect time.

Now I was guilty even more.

"Open the door, Romir," I said, rapping on it with my knuckles over and over. "I can help you." He didn't respond and then a cuss word whispered low under his breath made me think something had happened. "Open the door, Romir. Jose uncle wants to talk to you."

"He can talk to me through the door."

Damn. He had called me out. "Jose uncle wants me to help. Open the door or—or I'll break it open."

"Go ahead."

He was testing me. Fine, I thought. With my fist, I pounded on the door as hard and as fast as I could. "I'm not stopping until you open this damn door!" I brought my fist back to knock again when it swung open to reveal a very livid Romir. I put my hand down and stepped into the bathroom with him.

One arm had successfully been untangled from the shirt but the other, the injured one, was still trapped. Since it was half lifted revealing his stomach, I could see the light outline of abs. It didn't do anything for me though, other than prove to me he was fit and healthy and also attractive, but my mind wasn't racing.

This would be an easy job.

"Let me help," I said, softening my tone. I reached out to grab his elbow but he stepped back. "Look, I don't want to do this either. Jose uncle asked me to, okay? So cooperate."