20.

A few weeks later and Romir was back to normal. And by that I mean the bandage on his wrist was taken off and he could use both hands to do the things he normally did.

Which included showering, thank the Lord. I shuddered. Having had to help him the past few weeks was literal torture.

Even with his injured self he had gone to work, not wanting to stay at home with me, I suppose, but now that he was gone like before, my days were much more free.

Except for today. Today was a weekend and we were all trapped with each other.

Ugh.

It was so stifling having him around. I didn't bother making him food after that comment he made that other week, settling to eat frozen or junk food instead. My confidence had gone down the drain. What else was I to expect?

My phone rang as I surfed through channels on the telly. It wasn't a regular call, it was FaceTime.

"You finally picked up," dad said with a grin.

"What? You never even called me." I checked any recent missed calls I had but there were none.

"I called you twice."

"Twice? Why?"

"To tell you that we're going back to England in a few days."

"Already?!" I spluttered. It felt like no time had passed. "I want to see you guys before you leave!" I knew that would be impossible considering they were in Kochi and I was here, in Bangalore.

"Well that is why we came to Bangalore for two days."

I gaped. "You came here and didn't even tell me?!"

"We know you're busy adjusting," mum said, snatching the phone from him. "Besides Romir would be working, right?"

"I don't know," I mumbled before raising my voice, "I could still come a few days before right?"

"By yourself?"

"I'm not a kid, anymore, mum. Did you forget? I live alone back home."

"You're still my baby. You'll understand when you have kids of your own."

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't but laugh. "Oh my god, okay, okay, forget I said anything."

"I'm joking, you silly buffoon. Of course I want you to visit us. It's why we called."

"What do you say you and Romir meet us at a restaurant in a few hours?" said dad over mum's shoulder. She swatted him away and I chuckled, the sound fading away in my throat when I realised they expected Romir to come with. "Google says AKSS restaurant in Little Italy is a good place?"

"Uh, Romir has work," I lied, even though I literally said I didn't know before.

Mum looked suspicious, lips pursing into a tight, white line. "On the weekend?"

"Car breakdowns don't really keep tabs on the day, mum. Mechanics are in high demand." I didn't care that Romir was right in the kitchen making a late lunch. I hoped my parents couldn't hear the sizzling of eggs on the pan. "I'll come, mum," I offered.

"I called Romir earlier, you know," said dad slowly, "and he said he would be fine coming over."

Did they trick me?! Of course I looked like the bad guy for lying. Romir would be the perfect, great husband.

A strangled sort of choking noise left me and I whipped my head around to look at Romir. He paid no attention to me, like I didn't even exist.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.