Ch.5

You could see the blade at the corner of your eyes as the lightning flashed again, you let out a small gasp. The sound of thunder and heavy rain fills the silence in the room. The man didn't say a word. So were you. You could feel his eyes on you in your back, studying you.

"A runaway prisoner?" He asks, he sounds like he's asking himself. But he speaks in Latin. You were shocked. He might be a member of the Count's family.

You quickly went to explain. "No! I'm... not a runaway prisoner."

"Then, who are you? Why are you hiding from the Knights?" He asks. His voice is soft but clearly distrusts you as he presses the sword further you could feel it in your neck. You don't know what to reply to him. You know why you hide from the knights but...

"Lord Alaric tells me not to leave the castle, but he doesn't say I couldn't leave my room." You decide to use Alaric's name to save you instead. The edge of the sword slightly flinches. You could feel your stomach getting tighter as you hold your breath. You think you could pass out anytime now.

"Alaric... You are his lover?" He asks. Your eyes widened.

"What?! No! I'm-," you are almost lost for words, "I'm not! Well, you could say I'm a very important person that I have to stay in this county." You didn't really tell who you are because you aren't sure if you could go around and tell people you are the survivor and needed as the witness for the court. "You could get the details from the Young Lord and the Count himself if you want. I can't... tell you more than this." You said, still unsure who he is.

It was silence once again. There was thunder and followed by another flash. You try to calm yourself down and you look at his shadow to distract yourself instead...

"You didn't answer me. Why are you hiding from the Knights?" He asks, still suspicious of you. You don't really know how to answer him. How should you reply?

"I just thought that... they wouldn't allow me to go to the top if I wanted to." You said, decide to at least tell your destination.

"To the top?" There was confusion in his voice. "Why?"

Silence once again fills the room. Only flashes and the sound of thunder again fills the silence. You once again study the shadow figure. He's taller than you...

"I want to see the rain..." You close your eyes shut. You mentally cursed yourself. You guess it's because you were scared of the sharp metal on your neck that you can't tell a lie...

"Why do you want to see the rain?" His voice is calm and composed. It actually surprised you. You didn't think he would believe it.

"Since... it's rare to rain in the desert, I just want to see it." You see the shadow figure as once again the flash shows. He's not moving at all. Not even flinch like you did when you hear the thunder. Just who is he?

Then you could hear footsteps approaching. It's getting near the room. You froze in your place. You could feel your stomach drop when there were two shadows standing directly outside the room right now. The sharp cold metal was slowly taken away from you. He's gonna hand you over...

Surprised, you could feel the warmth right behind you and a hand on your waist pulling you to the side, he opened the door.

"Von-" The man outside stopped its track, surprised. He might didn't expect the door to be opened so fast.

You just looked at the cold floor, you didn't dare to even make a move as you froze. But you can see the dim light from outside. A knight that holds a candle with an iron holder in his hand stands so near the door and thankfully he doesn't seem to notice you. He bows. So does a knight behind him.