Chapter 1 The Chase

Aleksandra was walking through the busy main square of Covent Gardens, keeping her target in sight. The early autumn air was crisp, but she was warm in her black trench coat, thanks to the brisk walk. The young man ahead of her had his shoulders hunched under an oversized grey hoodie, but he was tall enough that his black hair was visible over the crowd of passers-by.

"The target is entering the street market. Visibility limited. I'm following," Aleksandra said, gently touching an earpiece covered by her short brown hair.

"I'm at the northern side of the market, and I can confirm he's coming this way," said a low male voice. "I'll follow him from here."

"Do that, Toni," answered another, a gentle female voice suited for running a radio station. "But please keep tabs on him too, Aleks. We need you in case the target uses his skills." There was a pause, and then in a teasing tone, the voice added. "Or if Toni botches a subtle target's tailing again."

An indignant huff came from an earpiece, and Aleksandra smiled, imagining her brother's scowling face. Antoni might be one of the top agents in their year, but being stealthy and secretive was not his pair of shoes.

"Don't worry, brother dear," she said, moving past a family blocking the whole pathway, trying to get their screaming kid to leave the colourful stall full of toys. The target was further away now, but she could still see him. "I'm here to save the day if you screw up again."

"You never let me forget that one mission, will you?" asked Toni's with an exasperated sigh.

"Not a chance!" The laughter in the earpiece sounded like delicate silver bells. It suited the owner very well, thought Aleks. Yuliya was a petite blonde girl, so lovely that Aleks often caught herself staring at her with jealousy. But she was in the team due to her talents, not her looks, just as everyone else.

"Less joking around and more work, agents," a gruff male voice growled, and Aleks instinctively straightened her back. It was easy to forget that their mission supervisor was always watching and evaluating all of them.

"The target left the market. I'm tailing him now," Toni announced in a business-like voice.

"I'll keep my distance from you both for now," Aleks chipped in when she finally left the crowd of people browsing little merchant stalls. She moved swiftly to the opposite side of James Street and kept close to the shaded walls of the old buildings. It gave her a better view of both their target and Antoni.

For a few minutes, they followed in silence. Aleks watched the black-haired man like a hawk, ignoring the crowds of laughing and talking people around her. She couldn't help but notice that his aura had changed from its usual contented green to sickly yellow. He looked around and started walking faster. Aleks turned to look at her brother, who kept barely a couple of meters behind their target.

"Damn you, Toni!" she hissed to her earpiece. "I told you to keep your distance. The target has possibly noticed you already. He got all nervous all of a sudden."

"I was being cautious! I'm sure it was not me─"

"She's right, Toni," Yuliya interrupted him. "The target passed Covent Garden station and turned to Long Acre. It's quite possible he spotted you and wants to check if you are following him. Wait a bit before you proceed further."

Antoni cursed under his breath but stopped at the underground entrance, pretending to look at the posters on the wall. Aleks smiled and passed him, following the target. There were not many things she could do better than her twin, but inconspicuously tailing people was one of them.

Even though they shared the same genes, they looked very different. The same facial features that made Antoni handsome, with his square jaw, straight nose and prominent brows, on Aleks' feminine face looked hopelessly average. So much, in fact, that while people often stared admiringly at her brother, they never gave her a second glance. She often heard she had one of those faces that are so unimpressive that most people looked right through her.