Chapter 13

Wednesday afternoon, after my weekly story time session, I lingered in the library, savoring the soothing fragrance of the printed word.

Wandering through the books, I let my fingertips trace over their spines, stopping as a particularly bright and colorful volume caught my eye.

Leaning against the shelf behind me, I pulled it out and flipped it over, scanning the synopsis on the back.

In my purse, a faint buzzing started suddenly.

Setting the book down, I pulled out my phone, opening the new message and smiling when I saw it was from Malcolm:

"Hey, I'm going to be out of town for work for a couple of days, but I'd love to see you when I get back. Are you free next Tuesday?"

Grinning, I typed: "So, the gross, medical story didn't scare you off?"

His reply appeared moments later: "I don't scare easily."

My happiness dimmed as I wondered how true that was. Looking away, I felt my mind whirling with questions, always circling back to the biggest one – would he stick around if he knew-

"Hey!"

A warm, feminine voice next to me jolted me out of my thoughts. Turning my head, I saw a woman I recognized from pack gatherings.

Her wide smile turned apologetic, "Oh, I'm so sorry – I didn't mean to startle you!"

"Um, no – it's fine!" Locking my phone, I slid it back into my purse, making a mental note to message Malcolm later.

Relief washed over her face, "Thank goodness! Let me know if I do start bothering you – I've just been stuck at home with a hyperactive three-year-old all day and I'm dying for some adult interaction, you know? You're Sophie, right?"

I nodded, feeling like a turtle caught outside of its shell. "Yep. And you're...?" I let the question dangle on the tip of my tongue, too embarrassed to admit I was totally blanking on her name.

She answered, "Josie-"

Abashed, I cut in, "Right, Josie - sorry about that – I'm just really terrible with names-"

She waved off my concern, "Dude, don't even worry about it! Like, I think you moved here when I was pregnant with Noah, and to be honest, I was so wrapped up in being pregnant that I didn't really try to get to know you."

I stuttered, "I- I mean, to be fair, I haven't exactly been super social myself-"

"So don't beat yourself up," she chuckled. "It's a two-way street."

"Well," shaking my head, I picked up the book I'd set aside, "I still think it's mostly on me. I mean, I definitely remember people reaching out and trying to include me when I first moved out, and I just wasn't having any of it."

Looking over, I saw that her head was tilted to the side, reading the cover of the book I was holding.

"Josie?"

"Sorry," she shook herself slightly, "it's just... you read romance? You didn't strike me as the type."

Shrugging, I answered, "I've moved more into thrillers recently, but... well, it's a long story."

Josie smiled, "I'm listening."

With a sigh, I explained, "Okay, so I started rereading Wuthering Heights about a week ago, and I just desperately need a palate cleanser."

She frowned slightly, polite confusion on her face. "'Palate cleanser'?"

"Just-" I sighed, "I just need to read a nice, fluffy romance between characters who are decent people and not miserable, toxic assholes."

She had a curious look on her face as she began, "You know..."

Raising an eyebrow, I asked, "What?"

"Well, it's funny that you're reading Wuthering Heights-"

"It is?"

"Kind of? See, that's actually this month's book club selection."

Surprise filled me, "We have a book club?"

Josie nodded, "It's been running pretty steadily for a couple of years now. Anyway, this year's theme is 'Second Chances' because we're rereading some of the books we were assigned for school and reevaluating how we feel about them."

"Really?" I asked, intrigued.

"Yeah. Like, last month, we reread Dante's Inferno and absolutely eviscerated it."

"Huh." Thinking for a moment, I admitted, "that sounds fun."

"It really is. Here," she pulled out her phone, typing quickly, "what's your number? I'll send you an invite to our next meeting-"

"Um..."

"-you can bring a snack if you want, and it's BYOB-"

"Uh-"

She continued, either not hearing or simply ignoring my reluctance. "We also have meetups for knitting, a writing circle, board game nights-"

Cutting in, I blurted, "I don't knit?"

Josie snorted, "Hun, neither do I. It's just a nice excuse to get out of the house."

Everything in me wanted to say no, to find a way to politely decline and stay in my nice, cozy comfort zone.

Taking a breath, I chose boldness instead,

"You know what? Sure." Reciting my phone number, I watched as she typed it in.

About fifteen minutes later, I walked up to the circulation desk carrying two more books that Josie had assured me would totally wash the taste of Wuthering Heights out of my brain. As the librarian scanned my choices, I felt my phone begin to buzz again in my purse.

Taking it out, I expected to see another message from Malcolm, but frowned when I found an incoming call from my boss, Gerald, instead.

Apologizing, I stepped away from the desk and answered, whispering, "Hello?"

"Sophie?"

"Yeah, hi – what's up?"

Gerald hesitated, and I knew I wasn't going to like what came next.

"So, there's kind of an emergency, and I need to ask you for a big favor..."

Well, fuck.