Chapter 46

The next morning, I was assisting one of the HR representatives for the Archives in setting up a booth for the Job Fair. We didn't have many openings, but we were always looking for qualified and enthusiastic applicants.

In particular, I was desperately hoping for someone who knew about database management. The backlog of records hadn't gotten any better since I'd mentioned the issue to Gerald, and with him out on paternity leave, I couldn't realistically hope that he'd made any progress on finding help.

Midway through the event, the flow of candidates had slowed to a trickle, and I stepped outside, walking toward the edge of the parking lot to call River.

Again.

Anxiety gnawed at my nerves as the phone rang in my ear.

Once.

Twice.

Come on...

It droned on and on, ratcheting up my fear until-

"Hi, you've reached River. I am unable to come to the phone right now-"

Hitting "end", I ran my hand over my hair, trying to get my emotions under control.

It didn't work.

This is weird, this is wrong - River never takes this long to get ahold of-

Desperate, I searched through my contacts, finding a number and pressing, "call".

"Sophie? Is everything alright?"

"Hi, Gerald - I actually called to ask you the same thing."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been trying to get in contact with River, but they're not answering their phone. Did something happen?"

"Uh," he paused, "I don't know - I've been home with the baby, so I'm out of the loop. Have you tried Tom?"

Tom - of course.

"I haven't, but I'm calling him right now - thanks, Gerald!"

"Anytime - let me know how it goes - I can always drop by your house and check in."

"You're my hero, Ger!"

After a quick goodbye, I found Tom's number and thanked the Goddess that I'd saved it.

Beginning to pace, I called, waiting as the dial tone blared in my ear.

Finally, the ringing cut off.

"Hello?"

The voice on the other end sounded weary and raw.

Oh, fuck-

"Tom? Hey, I've been trying to get in touch with River, but they're not answering their phone."

Emptiness answered me, "...they didn't tell you?"

My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach, "Tell me what?"

"We broke up."

Ice water cascaded over my skin, "What?"

"We broke up," he repeated, matter-of-factly, his tone hollow.

"I- I heard you; what happened? I thought things were going well."

"Yeah?" Tom scoffed, "So did I. Then, out of nowhere, River called me up and told me we were over."

"Just like that?"

"Yeah. No explanation, no warning - just, 'we're done' and now they're not answering my calls either."

The gravel crunched beneath my feet as I stopped in my tracks, "That's so weird..."