Eight - Marcos

The streets of Madrid are packed, cobbles occasionally wobbling under the pressure of a passing coach.

We've wandered into every reputable inn in town, despite my protests.

"We could get a coach out of town if you're worried about the duke of Aliaga figuring us out."

"It's not that I am worried, sir. It is that I wish to evade detection."

"Does your father know el duque de Aliaga?"

"Not that I'm aware."

"Have you ever met the man?"

She shakes her head, holding my arm to navigate around a small puddle. "I have not. But running around posing as an imaginary duke is sure to get us in trouble."

"We aren't going to be el duque and la duquesa," I say, pressing my arm into her side to keep her near as the carriage wobbles over the uneven cobblestone in front of us. "We will be el conde and la condesa de Córdoba, good friends and distant cousins of el ilusistrisimo duque de Valparaiso."

"The assumed identities you propose are so long we should never be able to retain them. I propose a simple life in simple circles until we can reach the coast. Which means you lose the ring and we go to an inn."

The fight continues for three more streets and a short stop for lunch in a small restaurant.

"If we go to an inn, there will be record of our attendance," I say when we step back onto the street. "And it is much easier to hide in the circles I run in. Discretion is expected and I know how to play the role."

"You have no idea how to act a commoner?" she asks, eyebrows rising into her hair.

"Do you?" I press into her and nudge her into the street toward the Duke's residence.

"As a matter of fact, I do," she says, lifting her chin and marching ahead of me, dragging me behind when I refuse to let go of her arm.

"So you will be able to discuss your husband's employment and housekeeping duties with your fellow commoners?" I challenge her because I like the spark in her eyes, but also because I'm hoping to distract her long enough to get us out of the busiest part of the square.

"I shall have no trouble blending in anywhere because I intend to keep to myself," she answers.

"And you carry yourself like the wife of a duke," I say. "Not someone who works with her hands and has nothing to her name. We will blend in easier if we keep as close to the truth as we can. And you were set to become a countess. No one will know to check or keep record of us and it will take them years to realize I've stolen one of my dear friend's lesser titles. We'll be safe."

She doesn't say anything, continuing to drag me down the street in a very uncivilized way. "You will still need to remove your ring," she says finally. "And a few of your finer garments."

"Done," I say, admittedly with no intention of following through.

"And we'll check two more inns first. If I'm satisfied with either one, we stay there."

"That will not do," I pull her back, so she's no longer dragging me through the streets, and place my lips to her ear. "We will be imposing on the duke's hospitality. Unless you'd like to stop this whole charade right now. You go to the inn, I'll attend to the duke's residence a single man. We can part as friends."

She stops, jerking me back with her and narrowly avoiding a man pushing a cart across the street.

"You'd give up that easily?" She looks up at me, brows pulling together with her question.